I'm currently trying to achieve spatialization with my headphones and HeSuVi ( https://sourceforge.net/projects/hesuvi/ ).
My PC is running Windows 7 SP1 x64, perfectly stable.
Yesterday, I have successfully installed HeSuVi with VB-Cable using this tutorial : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y4O12uomTI
(the only difference is that I didn't set CABLE input as default sound card, because I want to keep my Juli@ as default for other applications)
Here's my current setup :
- CABLE input is configured for 7.1 sound
- CABLE input, CABLE output and my sound card (ESI Juli@) are all configured at the same bitrate/samplerate (24/44.1).
(why 44.1 instead of 48 ? Because my goal is to play music, and 99% of my FLAC files are of course 44100 Hz)
- I have changed VB-Cable's samplerate to 44100 too (and rebooted).
And I select .wav presets on HeSuVi.
It all works and sounds great in my headphones : I have spatialized sound via HeSuVi, it's really amazing.
... BUT I have audio glitches every 30 seconds or so ! Which makes it impossible to listen to a whole song.
Their intervals seem to vary, it can be anytime in the 20-45 seconds period approximately.
I wonder if it could be the buffer size of my physical PCI sound card (ESI Juli@).
The default buffer size is 256 samples (which I've been using for 10 years without any issues).
I have tried to increase my sound card's buffer size, BUT Windows wouldn't let me, because some "MME multichannel application or service" was denying it.
I finally have managed to increase it by temporarily changing the assignment of CABLE Output (via the "Listen" tab of Sound Control panel) to "free" the sound card.
- How could I find what's going on precisely ? I can't seem to find the right settings for my use.
- Should I install VB-Cable or Virtual HiFi cable for my use ? I'd logically prefer Virtual HiFi Cable (my purpose is HiFi, not gaming), but I don't know if it's compatible with HeSuVi...
- My sound card has DirectWire (ReWire) technology by ESI, which is also a virtual cable technology. So I wonder if I even need VB-Cable at all ! Unfortunately I don't know how to make it work for foobar and HeSuVi. Here's the control panel (not mine, just a general picture). Any hints ?
Also, here's the sound card manual (DirectWire is described in pages 22-24) : http://download.esi-audiotechnik.com/do ... nglish.pdf