RE: Latency / Buffer (help?)

VB-Cable A & B, HIFI-Cable, ASIO Bridge
monsterjazzlicks

RE: Latency / Buffer (help?)

Post by monsterjazzlicks »

Hi folks,

My very first post on the VB FORUM and so please bear with me! :?

My question, please, is relating to LATENCY/BUFFER within the VB MEETER and CABLE. I have spent a week or so trying to clear this up and watching some of the tutorials etc. I am quite sure that the reason for my questioning here is due to my own lack of intelligence and understanding!

When wanting to reduce the LATENCY of external devices (a USB MICROPHONE and a SYNTHESIZER) running through VM and the CABLE, there are settings which can be configured in the VM - MENU/SETTINGS. There is also a MAX LATENCY setting within the CABLE - CONTROL PANEL.

What I am unsure about, please, is that in the CABLE - CONTROL PANEL, there is a parameter: SET MAX LATENCY (512 thru 7168 smp). Firstly, If I change this value, then a message appears stating "Effect will take place after next reboot". However, when I do reboot (and I have tried both rebooting the VM/VB as well as my PC just to double check), the MAX LATENCY setting does not change to what I have set it to? It remains at the default value!

Secondly, within the VM - MENU/SETTINGS, I have also tried changing the BUFFERING (from its default of 512 samples) and this DOES reflect and remember this value upon opening/closing the program. So this seems to be fine.

Lastly, I was wondering if the CABLE - MAX LATENCY, and VM - BUFFER are intertwined in that changing the MAX LATENCY in CABLE, is in some way reflected in the VM BUFFER configuration?

I hope I have explained my question ok and not over complicated it?! I have attached some screenshots to hopefully help to clarify things:
VB_1
VB_1
VB1.png (139.41 KiB) Viewed 64050 times
VB_2
VB_2
VB2.png (138.21 KiB) Viewed 64050 times
VB_3
VB_3
VB3.png (63.6 KiB) Viewed 64050 times
Many thanks in advance . . .

Paul David Seaman
Dell Inspiron N5040, Windows 7 Home Premium, 8GB RAM, 2.13gHz, 64-bit, Intel Pentium, Service Pack 1.

Dell Inspiron 3737, Windows 8.1 Professional, 16GB RAM, 1.70gHz, 64-bit, Intel Core i3.

Cubase Artist 8 / Sibelius 7.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: RE: Latency / Buffer (help?)

Post by Vincent Burel »

hello, thanks for your precise question.

1- Internal Ltency concerns only the virtual input (of the VB-CABLE or Voicemeeter) - it does not concern MICROPHONE or other output device latency.

2- VBCABLE_ControlPanel must be launched in administrative mode to be able to change internal latency or internal SR (right click on exe and select "run as administrtor").

3- the VB-CABLE, which is the oldest component, might not allow changing internal parameters in some configuration case (the reason is that the location where the value is stored might be not ready on Windows Startup and then the VB-CABLE starts with default parameter instead...), there is a way to correct that by using a new package:
http://vbaudio.jcedeveloppement.com/Dow ... ack42d.zip
(REBOOT after DE-INSTALLATION / REBOOT after INSTALLATION).

4- to undersand everything on VB-CABLE Latency, i recommend to read the following document:
http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Ca ... ttings.pdf

5- Settings internal latency for Voicemeeter virtual input includes another constraint: the main buffer size used by Voicemeeter (given by the output A1 buffer size). The Virtual Input Latency must be also above 3x(main buffer size) to work correct. For example if you set Voicemeeter Virtual Input Latency to 2048 samples and connect output A1 to an audio device working with 1024 samples buffer, there is a risk to get no sound anymore from the Virtual Input(s), because 3x 1024 < 2048. This is done when the samplerate is the same on every stage... if not, the computation can become more complicated, that's why we do not recommend to change virtual audio cable configuration (and driver output A1 with your best audio driver - for a best latency - e.g. 128 to 512 samples is good possible range).
monsterjazzlicks

Hello Vincent,

Thank you very much indeed for your helpful reply this morning. Much appreciated

I will work through your directions step by step if you don't mind please.

I would be able to RUN the software as:"the following user - monsterjazzicks". I would enter my PASSWORD and that would be fine (as I know my password from memory!).

But, to RUN as: "the following user - ADMINISTRATOR", I do not know if I have ever set a password (or if I set one a long while ago and it has been since forgotten!) as I can't get passed this PASSWORD stage. Would you be kind enough please to advise me on how, if possible to RESET it?

Please see screenshots:
admin2
admin2
admin3.png (58.49 KiB) Viewed 64045 times
admin1
admin1
admin2.png (47.21 KiB) Viewed 64045 times
Many thanks in advance.

Best,

Paul
Dell Inspiron N5040, Windows 7 Home Premium, 8GB RAM, 2.13gHz, 64-bit, Intel Pentium, Service Pack 1.

Dell Inspiron 3737, Windows 8.1 Professional, 16GB RAM, 1.70gHz, 64-bit, Intel Core i3.

Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

normally it's the same password you used to login
and normally again, when doing a "Run as Administrator" it does not ask again for your password (except if you are not logged as administrator).
monsterjazzlicks

Vincent,

Seems the passwords (to the above to screenshots) are different:
admin4
admin4
admin4.png (83.8 KiB) Viewed 64044 times
I will have a look online and see if I can find a solution to RESETTING the ADMIN PASSWORD.

Cheers,

Paul

monsterjazzlicks

Hi again,

After some to and fro of messaging on the MICROSOFT forum since Monday last, a solution/directions have been kindly provided (to me) by a fellow MS forum member. Perhaps other people (VB Meeter customers) may find this following information useful if they are ever in the same predicament:
On the screen where it asks "Which user account to you want to use to run this program" and you select "Administrator" from the drop-down list, have you tried leaving the box for "Password" blank when you click OK? That's the default for Windows XP and should work unless you (or someone else) has configured a password for the "Administrator" account.

If leaving the password for Administrator blank doesn't work, you'll have to reset that password. Fortunately, your "monsterjazzlicks" user account is a "Computer administrator" and thus has the ability to reset passwords of other accounts, including the "Administrator" account.

To reset the password for the "Administrator" account, log on to "monsterjazzlicks" as usual, and then do the following:

Click Start, then click Run

Type the following into the "Open" box and click OK

control userpasswords2

Click the name of the account whose password you want to change (i.e., Administrator)

Click Reset password

Enter a new password (or leave blank)

Do the same in the "Confirm password" space

Click OK

Restart the computer and you should now be able to "Run as Administrator" using the new password you set.
Best,

Paul

monsterjazzlicks

Hi,

Now (with reference to the above instructions/amendments), I am able to RUN either as ADMINISTRATOR or as 'monsterjazzlicks' because PASSWORDS have been correctly set for both.

And yes indeed, this enables me to adjust the LATENCY (reflected now @ 512) parameter in the VB CABLE settings (see screenshots):
Admin_1
Admin_1
admin1.png (40.71 KiB) Viewed 64037 times
Admin_2
Admin_2
admin2.png (107.32 KiB) Viewed 64037 times
Best,

Paul

Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

thanks for the information, but 512 sample as internal latency might not work in most cases.
(it works only if applications connected to the cable, manage audio stream with buffer always smaller than 170 samples)
monsterjazzlicks

Cheers Vincet,
Vincent Burel wrote:thanks for the information, but 512 sample as internal latency might not work in most cases.(it works only if applications connected to the cable, manage audio stream with buffer always smaller than 170 samples)
Yes, I just found that out! lol

So, if I am suffering LATENCY with my synthesizer then would you leave the VB CABLE at it's default (which I think was 7168 or something?) please? I have tried all possibilities in the VoiceMeeter OPTIONS from 192 thru 512 (all others either side of these values only produce a distorted sound).

Thanks a lot,

Paul

monsterjazzlicks

Hello again,

I just found the video I made a couple of weeks ago (for an online mate over in Washington, US) to show how I have CUBASE the VOICEMEETER both set up. However, my PC still suffers from LATENCY with the (incoming) NORD synth, and (non-system-sound) CUBASE (albeit only slight, it does still somewhat impair on one's live performance). As I say, it was made a little while ago and so Vincent has already kindly assisted with one or two questions:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byepp ... 3MtU1FXaTA

This video is quite verbose so you may fall asleep half way thru. Although I dare say out of the 100's of members on this forum, one or two may find it somewhat interesting/useful (although the discussion on VOLUME and the SM58 MIC are probably superfluous to this thread) .

This was ALL performed on the Win_7 PC exclusively using CAMTASIA screen/audio capture s/w.

Ta,

Paul