SOLVED - VB Cable does not work with Windows Insider builds?

VB-Cable A & B, HIFI-Cable, ASIO Bridge
pgoelz

SOLVED - VB Cable does not work with Windows Insider builds?

Post by pgoelz »

Is anyone else having issues with VB Cable and recent Windows 10 Insider builds? I can set a source program to output to VB Cable without issue, but the two destination programs I have tried throw an "unspecified sound card error" when I try to select the VB Cable output as their sound device. I have the same issue with Virtual Audio Cable, BTW.

Paul
Last edited by pgoelz on Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: VB Cable does not work with Windows Insider builds?

Post by Vincent Burel »

please precise the WIN10 version and build number (in Windows system information)... and the application you use to get audio from VB-CABLE.
pgoelz

Post by pgoelz »

I am currently on insider build 17128.1 but this issue was present at least one build previous to that.... possibly two or three. I don't remember what build was current when I set up the insider version of Windows. Machine is an i7 desktop with onboard sound, GT710 graphics card and 8GB RAM.

Source program is a software defined receiver (SDRPlay RSP2) running SDRPlay's SDRUno software. No issues setting the output of SDRUno to VB Cable in current or insider Windows builds.

I am using two target programs.... SBSpectrum (spectrogram software) and WSJT-X (ham radio digital mode decoder). Both work correctly with VB Cable (and always have) on the current public release version of windows. On later insider builds, however, they both produce an "unspecified sound device" error when the VB Cable output is selected.

If you are not running an insider build, I strongly suggest you set one up and test VB Cable. Unless there is something unique about my setup, I believe Microsoft changed something in the audio chain and this will become an issue for everyone as soon as the spring Windows update is released.

Paul
pgoelz

Post by pgoelz »

UPDATE:

After further testing using both an external USB sound card and the mic input to my onboard sound card, I am thinking this is not actually a VB Cable issue after all. Turns out that NONE of my programs can access ANY inputs to the PC (onboard or external USB) on insider builds. Ouch!!!! I guess it is time to use the Feedback app in Windows. Again, everything is fine and always has been on current and previous public releases. But the sound settings are very different in recent insider builds and I suspect something has changed under the hood.

Paul
pgoelz

Post by pgoelz »

UPDATE 2 -- SORTED!

Since I do not have a microphone on this PC, I had turned the microphone off under SETTINGS >> PRIVACY and disabled the MIC for most of the listed programs for good measure. Turns out that the VB Cable output is considered a "microphone" by Windows so any program that wanted to use the microphone was blocked. Re-enabling the microphone (and rebooting) restored normal operation and all is well.

Sorry for the false alarm.

Paul
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: SOLVED - VB Cable does not work with Windows Insider builds?

Post by Vincent Burel »

Good to know !...
Audio device Disabling capabilitie in Windows is surely not a good idea for users...
And Auto disabling feature on pin disconnection is also not a good idea...
But in 30 years, i don't remember a good idea from Microsoft concerning audio :-)
pgoelz

Re: SOLVED - VB Cable does not work with Windows Insider builds?

Post by pgoelz »

Actually, I ran across a thread discussing audio latency and insider builds that was interesting reading. Supposedly, there has been a latency issue in Windows for YEARS having something to do with buffers and processing. The poster said it was thoroughly understood and documented but no one at MS would do anything about it. Finally, the poster reached someone who actually cared and it got fixed in one of the later insider builds and will (assumed) make it to the upcoming public release. In fact, I do seem to notice lower and more consistent latency using an SDR remotely with RDP if both machines are running the current insider build.

I read that thread at the same time I noticed the VB Cable wasn't working and of course my first assumption was that the change killed VB Cable.

Paul