Can I listen to the output of a cable directly?

VB-Cable A & B, HIFI-Cable, ASIO Bridge
Fureniku

Can I listen to the output of a cable directly?

Post by Fureniku »

^^As title really. A key thing here is latency - I need it under 10ms/indistinguishable.

Basically, I'm trying to be able to listen to external audio sources (such as TV and musical instruments) through my USB headset. Sounds simple enough but it's been an absolute nightmare with latency. Currently the closest I've gotten is using a DAW, I can take sound from my audio interface and send it to USB headset without latency - but then I get no sound from anywhere else on my PC because ASIO/windows drivers are dumb. So, I'm trying to send it to a VB cable instead - and now I need to wire that cable into the headset, so it can have sound from my whole PC and the DAW simultaneously.

How can I achieve this? Note, I've tried Voicemeeter but the latency is too high.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: Can I listen to the output of a cable directly?

Post by Vincent Burel »

better With Voicemeeter (VB-CABLE is just a cable to conenct 2x applciations together - a player to a recorder - ).
Fureniku

Post by Fureniku »

Fureniku wrote:Note, I've tried Voicemeeter but the latency is too high.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

the latency in Voicemeeter is pending on multiple factors and can be optimized...
Dr. Frankenkeim

Post by Dr. Frankenkeim »

Fureniku: did you ever get your problem resolved?

I have the exact same issue and looking at various forums it seems very common. I am struggling to find a workable solution and was hoping voicemeeter can be configured for an instrument but the latency remains to high if used with a music streaming software (if you use VM with the instrument only in "single mode" it's totally fine).

I know that a dedicated audio interface might address this issue but if you use for example an iRIG and Amplitube and try to jam to Spotify (which seems like the most basic ask since you're playing an instrument) you are out of luck with AISO.

I get VM to run both at the same time but the latency remains to high for a guitar since the time between hitting a string and hearing it does not work.

Did you get it to work?
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

to play live with virtual instrument (or physical instrument or microphone) you may first optimize the Voicemeeter Main Stream given by the output A1 . We recommend to select an ASIO driver with 128 to 256 sample buffer size. (if using WDM device, try to find one, running stable with 256 sample buffer size).

Virtual Insturment must be connected to Voicemeeter through its virtual ASIO driver (to optimize latency too).