Option to auto set HIFI-Cable Output Device default Windows shared mode audio resolution

VB-Cable A & B, HIFI-Cable, ASIO Bridge
cebolla

Option to auto set HIFI-Cable Output Device default Windows shared mode audio resolution

Post by cebolla »

Given that the HIFI-Cable is bit perfect, but requires its resolution to be configured to be the same for both input and output, would it be possible for you to provide an optional setting which automatically sets the default Windows shared mode audio resolution for the HiFi-Cable Output device to match whatever the HiFi-Cable Input device's 'live' audio resolution is currently at?

It would save you the hassle of having to go into the Windows audio settings and manually set the HiFi-Cable Output device's default settings to match, every time the HiFi-Cable Input device's audio resolution changes. This especially makes maintaining a bit perfect virtual audio cable connection for a mixed resolution audio file playlist on player software impratical!
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: Option to auto set HIFI-Cable Output Device default Windows shared mode audio resolution

Post by Vincent Burel »

No, it's not really possible, not only because Microsoft Audio parameters are not really stable, but also because there are different conditions to be able to change the audio format of an audio pin (for example it must not be in use).

So you may have to use VB-CABLE instead if you want to not be bored by these audio format configuration questions.
cebolla

Re: Option to auto set HIFI-Cable Output Device default Windows shared mode audio resolution

Post by cebolla »

Ah, that's unfortunate. I had seen the "Device in use" warning that Windows issues to the user, but it gives you the choice to proceed regardless and it then takes on the change. I assumed the corresponding Windows API would allow this override to be automated too.

Looks like I'm stuck with having to manually change the Windows audio settings as required, as it's sometimes critical that I maintain a bit perfect audio signal end to end - eg, when the signal is MQA encoded and would otherwise get corrupted. So, I won't be able take advantage of the built-in resampling provided by the 'set once & forget' VB-CABLE.

Shame, as the HIFI-Cable is perfect in all other respects.

BTW, many thanks for producing such excellent useful products.