Using Potato with Rearoute

VB-Cable A & B, HIFI-Cable, ASIO Bridge
GreasyBumpkin

Using Potato with Rearoute

Post by GreasyBumpkin »

So I saw this topic here and wanted to ask my own question similar to this OP:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=418&p=847&hilit=rea ... 5e3b2#p847

I wish to use VM to combine audio streams coming in from multiple interfaces.

Why? So my main interface is also a live mixer and it does a great job, it's monitoring 3 guitar tracks, 3 vocal tracks, e-drums and a USB rtn for Ableton. I want to send all audio eventually into Reaper.

I also want to capture the dry signals from the vocals and guitars before they run through amps & FX, I have a UMC404 (which I might replace as it's not that great) and a Line 6 Helix to do this with, but of course ASIO only allows the use of one device, and using multiple devices with ASIO4ALL causes problems as I have recently learned with the absence of a word clock.

I have the e-drums sending MIDI too, so the dream is to get an entire bands worth of dry tracks that could be re-produced with entirely different sounds. Rearoute allows me to add 16 tracks in addition to the 12 tracks I have with the live/wet signal mixer, and that should be the perfect amount of tracks I need. Problem is that I don't see Rearoute appear as an output on Potato (it shows on other programs, it's definitely installed), I have the x64 Reaper installed.

So is there any advice someone might have?
Attachments
Screenshot_20191208_202603.jpg
Screenshot_20191208_202603.jpg (124.49 KiB) Viewed 14788 times
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: Using Potato with Rearoute

Post by Vincent Burel »

You may connect everything to Voicemeeter (Banana or Potato) - Voicemeeter must be considered as your main audio console to connect everything on. I don't know what you do with ReaRoute ASIO, because normally all your ASIO APP can be connected to Voicemeeter by its different ASIO Driver.
Schema01.jpg
Schema01.jpg (45.65 KiB) Viewed 14763 times
GreasyBumpkin

Post by GreasyBumpkin »

Hi Vincent thanks for getting back to me.

I'm unsure of how your solution works? I have 28 tracks of audio I want to collate into Reaper, and when assigning ASIO on Reaper you get to choose between Voicemeeter's VAIO, VAIO AUX and VAIO 3.

Those drivers only have 8 tracks each, and I can only select one, so I must be misunderstanding because I would still have 20 more tracks not being recorded?
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

well, i gave you the optimal configuration, but you have your constraint too...

However, i would consider connecting Reaper on virtual ASIO insert to get all pre-fader input channel of Voicemeeter:
Voicemeeter Banana virtual ASIO insert is a 22 channels driver
Voicemeeter Potato virtual ASIO insert is a 34 channels driver
GreasyBumpkin

Post by GreasyBumpkin »

34 tracks ought to do it! I've not come across the ASIO insert while using VM, is it possible to use it in the same manner you would the VAIO's?
GreasyBumpkin

Post by GreasyBumpkin »

Vincent Burel wrote:well, i gave you the optimal configuration, but you have your constraint too...

However, i would consider connecting Reaper on virtual ASIO insert to get all pre-fader input channel of Voicemeeter:
Voicemeeter Banana virtual ASIO insert is a 22 channels driver
Voicemeeter Potato virtual ASIO insert is a 34 channels driver
Hi again, so I had another look at the insert and can understand what you mean now.

I guess then with 34 tracks, I'd need to decide how to spread and divide these various audio streams I'm dealing with across Voicemeeter. It's just a problem is that my mixer is 14 tracks (12 plus master) and the VAIOs only go upto 8. BUT, Rearoute would allow me to use the Mixers ASIO, and 16 additional tracks from another source / DAW.

Will ASIO Bridge enable me to map the tracks from ASIO insert over to Rearoute?
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

no but you can use a virtual BUS with COMPOSITE MODE to define 8 channels taken in the 34 inputs for example.