Substantial Volume Decrease in Voicemeeter with ASIO on

VB-Cable A & B, HIFI-Cable, ASIO Bridge
terrybritton

Substantial Volume Decrease in Voicemeeter with ASIO on

Post by terrybritton »

Vincent,

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB interface with an ASIO driver.

If I have ASIO Bridge running directed to the 2i2 having it selected, and use Hi-Fi Cable Output as the Hardware input device in Voicemeeter, I've noticed that if ASIO is in ASIO On mode the volume drops significantly (about 15db). Switching to ASIO OFF returns it to normal volume. I notice that the 2i2 is receiving very low signal levels also. (I wanted to be able to use the 2i2's headphone monitor jack or monitor-outputs.) Am I experiencing normal behavior here?

Thanks!

Terry
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: Substantial Volume Decrease in Voicemeeter with ASIO on

Post by Vincent Burel »

for this question, i need more information about audio source and interface used by the player application.
Anyway, VB-CABLE and voicemeeter Virtual I/O do not apply any gain.
However we can have such gain reduction according audio device interface used and player application volume policy.
(for example, audio can pass through windows mixer or not, according cases...)
Gractus

Re: Substantial Volume Decrease in Voicemeeter with ASIO on

Post by Gractus »

This thread is now completely ancient but since it's one of the first results when searching for low volume when using ASIO with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface in Voicemeeter I'm posting here to hopefully help someone in my position.

In my case it was basic user error.

Normally I use the windows volume controls instead of the knobs on the interface, so when I switched to ASIO from WDM output in Voicemeeter I was hit with 100% volume (since the windows volume control doesn't affect ASIO drivers). I dropped the fader gain in Voicemeeter for "Main Out A" and "Virtual Out B" to get to a more reasonable volume.

At the time I thought the second fader control was for output A2 and didn't realise it was actually for the Voicemeeter virtual output. It wasn't until after I'd puzzled over why the virtual out was so much quieter now that I was using ASIO that I realised my mistake. :oops: