Bluetooth conflicts with WiFi network

VB-Audio Network Protocol and applications
Ade

Bluetooth conflicts with WiFi network

Post by Ade »

Hi there
I’m in the process of setting up a local network at a summer camp for kids. I have voicemeeter banana broadcasting via spot to several locations around 93 acres of campground. It works well!

At each remote location I have placed an Amazon Fire 7 tablet running VBAN Receptor. The Fire 7s connect to amplifiers which are Bluetooth capable.

Here’s the problem:
When Bluetooth is introduced to the equation, it causes havoc with the fairly solid network. Without Bluetooth, only the occasional ‘missing’ will flash. With Bluetooth, it’s a light show of ‘missing’ and all the other error lights.

The WiFi is using 2.4 MHz to get the distance we need between WiFi towers. I’m led to believe that’s the same band that Bluetooth uses, hence the immediate conflict. BTW, the problem occurs with iPhones, Samsungs and the Amazon Fire tablets, so it’s not down to the hardware of one particular brand. It’s ...Bluetooth.

Is there a solution? I’d love to avoid using cables.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: Bluetooth conflicts with WiFi network

Post by Vincent Burel »

Ade wrote:I’m in the process of setting up a local network at a summer camp for kids. I have voicemeeter banana broadcasting via spot to several locations around 93 acres of campground. It works well!
Great! thanks for feedback on this subject! we plan an update of the VBAN-Spot to propose other format to reduce the bandwidth a bit (like 24 or 32kHz 10 bits for example).
Ade wrote:When Bluetooth is introduced to the equation, it causes havoc with the fairly solid network. Without Bluetooth, only the occasional ‘missing’ will flash. With Bluetooth, it’s a light show of ‘missing’ and all the other error lights.
normally Bluetooth is not expected to disturb Wifi... maybe the bluetooth device is not work properly with Voicemeeter ?
could send a screenshot of your Voicemeeter System Settings dialog box?
Ade

Post by Ade »

Hi Vincent - and thanks for responding.
Excellent idea for reduced bandwidth. In this situation dynamic range is the last thing we are thinking about! :D
And 32khz is ample fidelity for the great outdoors. It would make a huge difference to potential logjams.
I’m in Santa Monica right now but will head back to camp tomorrow. 5 hour drive ...I’ll get the details screenshot over to you.
In the meantime, I found this article:
http://www.dsibinski.pl/2017/04/wifi-an ... nd-fixing/

BTW - my hat is off to Terry Britton for pointing me to your wonderful software!
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

ok, it seems BT can disturb WIFI... maybe changing WIFI channel could help as far as i understand...
yes, right, Terry is one of our first users and understand very well our products!