Maximum number of reliable audio streams

VB-Audio Network Protocol and applications
Ade

Maximum number of reliable audio streams

Post by Ade »

Hi
I am trying to stream to 6 destinations using Banana’s VBAN. I am not able to reliably stream above 4 devices of mono 16 bit at 22.05k with all receptors set to ‘ Very Slow’.
In case it was the router, I invested in a reasonably expensive Netgear model which looks more like a stealth bomber. The result was no better than Linksys EA9200 preciously used.
Another user, who has actually made excellent instructional YouTube videos for Voicemeeter could also not stream to more than two devices.

Is anyone able to give me advice as to what the necessary setup is to obtain optimal performance of 6 mono, low sample rate, streams?

Thanks
Adrian
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: Maximum number of reliable audio streams

Post by Vincent Burel »

Our experience with a regular home WIFI internet box, shows that we can manage easily more than 10 connections with VBAN-Spot (44100 Hz 16 bit stereo). So 6x mono 22kHz 16bit streams should work better again...

The fact is that some questions can remain...
WIFI AP can have strange or inexplicable behavior sometimes ...
Your device must be not too far from the WIFI AP and maybe not physically in the same square meter ?.

Maybe WIFI AP will work better if connected to internet ? some mobile device are continuously searching an internet connections, could it disturb our VBAN Stream?...

Anyway if you use VBAN on WIFI, Feel free to share your experience!
Ade

Post by Ade »

That is very encouraging!
Could you share the name of the router you are using and which devices are running Receptor (IOS or Android) and their model numbers?
If we duplicate your setup there should be no reason for us not to achieve your spectacular results.
You wrote:
Your device must be not too far from the WIFI AP and maybe not physically in the same square meter ?.
Well, where were yours? I did my initial tests with all devices in the same room. The furthest device has been 300m away. I think I’ve covered all possibilities for this LAN and I have used signal strength indicators to calibrate the reception at each device.
Could you explain the meaning of ‘overload’ on the receptor app?

Thanks Vincent.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

if you was using Android Device, you may remake the test with todays application version, because we corrected many problems in the last months ...

underruns or overload error just say that the stream is running slower or faster than expected... this error should appear one time per minute max, otherwise it means there is a problem on audio device or on transmitter side or on receptor side.