Trouble re-installing Voicemeeter and VB-Cable

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
gcremeri

Trouble re-installing Voicemeeter and VB-Cable

Post by gcremeri »

I was testing Voicemeeter and VB-Cale for some time now and I truly belive they are exceptional products. Voicemeeter specifically is part of my setup for mu upcoming streemeing channel, including the macrobuttons, which seem to be very helpfull in certain setups.
The only holdback was that I started to get randomly that robotic sound and I decided to do something about it. I followed all the reccomendations I found on the board and could not fix it, so I decided do uninstall both products and do a fresh re-install.
I followed again instruction to uninstall them only to find out that I could not reinstall them anymore, and I see that I'm not alone in this boat either. Voicemeeter's drivers show both up with problems on the device manager, spceifically with error code 18. I tried several reccomendations and unfortunately Microsoft is not helping on this either. To make matters worst, I seem to have now problems installing new sound device drivers too.
Is there any fix I may have missed here on the board for this situation (Besided the pinned post on uninstall on the board)? I really need to be able to install audio drivers in general, including Voicemeeter and VB-Cable.

Thanks a lot
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: Trouble re-installing Voicemeeter and VB-Cable

Post by Vincent Burel »

you may re-install it , checkign that you have completely de-install it
see topic: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=381
gcremeri

Post by gcremeri »

I did follow those steps of that pinned post again and I can actually uninstall the drivers. I then used Revo Uninstaller to remove any remaining components from the registry and leftover files. I did reboot in between as recommended too, but every time I re-install Voicemeeter and reboot, the same error code shows up. It seems that I can not install any new audio drivers after I uninstalled Voicemeeter the first time, and that seems to be the issue.

Unfortunately I realized with this issue, that the restore point feature was not turned on on this machine, so I need to fix the issue otherwise.

Thanks for any further help.
gcremeri

Post by gcremeri »

Does the lack of replies to this thread mean that there is no solution to the problem here after I uninstalled Voicemeeter? I'm really not looking forward to a fresh Windows install just because of this issue. It will be a major headache to reinstall all the programs, certificates, configurations, etc. :(

Thanks
gcremeri

Post by gcremeri »

Am I the only one that has experienced this problem? Does anybody have a suggestion on how to fix the issue without having to rebuild the machine from scratch?

Thanks again.
brickviking

Post by brickviking »

I'm just tossing a lifering out into the water here, I hate it when there's no answer to a question that's been posed. Try this at a CMD prompt (as administrator, it won't work otherwise):

C:\windows\system32> sfc /scannow

(Instructions came from this link at lifewire.)

Incidentally, has your computer recently had a virus scan or malware scan?

(Post 39)
gcremeri

Post by gcremeri »

Thanks so much for trying to help me out here... and yes, silence is tough when you have a problem like this.
Unfortunately I already tried that and nothing showed up and yes, I do scan my machine daily for viruses and malware (using Malwarebytes here) and everything is fine with no incidents for a long long time.

Thanks anyways for your support.
Regards
brickviking

Post by brickviking »

Okay, a couple of things. What's your back-end audio device, and what version of Windows are you using? Have you tried the steps at this link? It may have some useful tips neither of us have seen yet. I can't help much with later Windows versions, as I'm only on Vista and Linux.

(Post 40)
gcremeri

Post by gcremeri »

I'm on the latest releas of Win 10 64 bit and my audio board is a High Definition Realtek one. I tried those steps and some more form another Microsoft support page with no luck either. The interesting part is that some devices that I used in the past work when I connect them, some don't.
A specific USB soundboard dongle I used in the past works on some ports and not on another one. I guess I never used it on that port, but the driver exist and works as expected on the other previously used USB port.
It feels like there is a rights issue somewhere. I found a note that pointed to that but the rights where ok and also grayed out. It might be somewhere else I have to tweak this... very frustrating and it will take days if not weeks to rebuild this machine.

Thanks again
Regards
brickviking

Post by brickviking »

If you have the ability, reboot into single-user mode (I no longer know how to do that, but on Vista it was gained by hammering F8 on bootup.) and prod device drivers then. You shouldn't be prompted for UAC prompts, though I'm aware that other people have had issues with the exact sound device that you have on your motherboard, exactly as you've specified. Check what search results there are about "High Definition Realtek code 18", some of those mention getting the latest drivers from the provider of either your motherboard (most likely) or the chipset driver provider (older, and not so guaranteed). I suspect you might be right when you say it could be rights-based, though it's strange it's only triggered after a VB deinstall.

(Post 41)