Stereo Repeat only for stereo sources

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
stenyak

Stereo Repeat only for stereo sources

Post by stenyak »

Hi all, VoiceMeeter noob here, started using it a few days ago.

I was wondering if there's any way to use the stereo-repeat mode only for audio sources that are stereo. E.g. have youtube play on all speakers, then alt-tabbing into a 5.1 movie player that still output its 6 channels independently, without having to manually switch stereo-repeat on/off.

Thanks for any advice (and thanks to the creator for such a nice piece of software!)
stenyak

Re: Stereo Repeat only for stereo sources

Post by stenyak »

Bumping once just in case ("not possible" would be welcome as an answer too :-) )
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

i don't know if i understand well the question, the BUS mode is set by the user (manually).
stenyak

Post by stenyak »

Vincent Burel wrote:i don't know if i understand well the question, the BUS mode is set by the user (manually).
BUS mode is what I'm resorting to at the moment. The problem is I need to change it each time I use software with different amount of channel outputs.

E.g. sometimes I'm listening to youtube in a browser with 2.0 output (bus mode set to "stereo repeat"). Then I start watching a movie, and then I notice I can hear no voices (because the 2.0 channels are overwriting all other channels, including the center channel). So I have to go switch bus mode back to "normal mode".

In some cases, e.g. Telegram web client voice messages, these play through the center channel only, so the usual "stereo repeat" (that I use while browsing) essentially mutes the voice messages (as it's the empty L and R channels overwriting the voice channel).

My question (or probably request) boils down to: if the virtual output device can detect the amount of channels used by each program that connects to it, then a BUS mode 'speaker fill" would be nice, where the Center-only voice messages spread to all other 5.1 channels; or the L/R-only youtube music spreads to 5.1; or the 5.1 movies stay as-is; or 4.0 movies spread to 5.1, etc. Without having to manually choose the BUS mode for each application, and without losing the channels that do exist (no matter which they are in each particular case).

Thanks for any help!