Banana & Potato freezing on device connect/disconnect

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
exigeous

Banana & Potato freezing on device connect/disconnect

Post by exigeous »

Recently rebuilt my machine so I switched to Potato, and now back to Banana as I have a hugely frustrating issue - any time my audio sources change Voice Meeter "freezes". I then have to start the audio engine AND update the source in my apps (namely Discord) for audio to come back. Here's more details:

Whenever "Mixed Reality Portal", the app for Windows MR headsets, opens it enables and instantly disables an audio device for the headset (that I don't want to use). This device is not assigned in any way in Potato/Banana (same behavior in both)

I have 3 hardware outputs and 2 inputs. Outputs are
A1: Motherboard Audio (Realtek chip)
A2: Logitech A820 USB headset (8k only, office style)
A3: Soundblaster Live USB card (used to run a Butt Kicker amp)

Input 1: IO XLR<>USB adapter (for XLR mic)
Input 2: Logitech A820 headset

I generally send my microphones to B2 and "other" audio (game audio) to B1 so I can use OBS to stream them separately, with Discord using B2 (AUX) for input/output to keep things separate. This has worked perfectly for months - but all of a sudden when my Win MR headset launches an app Banana/Potato have to be restarted - since the problem isn't on a channel being used I can't use the "auto restart" feature (I understand that monitors channel 1 devices only). I also can't leave it's audio enabled as if it is every time you open a VR app "Mixed Reality Portal" will change all audio to it's default. So MR Portal is presenting the problem but it's really with Potato/Banana

I verify this by disconnecting any audio device - like if I connect/disconnect a monitor (long story but I do that daily) it also freezes it. I then have to restart Potato/Banana AND go into Discord and just reselect the output channel (doesn't actually change just click the drop down and select it again). This happens dozens of times a day now as every time I launch into a VR app I get this. I've never had any issue like this until the rebuild about a week or so ago.

I've seen a few similar posts and people mentioned it worked with a previous build of Voice Meeter and Windows - I'm running 1809. Thoughts on how to fix this as it's entering deal breaker territory (I use Discord for work and as it's constantly "breaking" my colleagues are also getting really frustrated). I don't know if there is even an alternative to Voice Meeter given the complexity of my setup but I have to do something different as this just can't continue given how frustrating it is.

Thoughts? Should I seek out an old build? My last install was from 4-5 months ago, I'm not sure if I updated the app between then and now (as I don't think it has an auto-update feature). I absolutely love VM and Potato adds some great features so please help me continue to use and love it!

Any other details I can provide or tests I can do? While MR Portal is displaying the issue it isn't the root cause, as I said any change to an audio device illustrates this problem.

Thanks much!

~X
exigeous

Re: Banana & Potato freezing on device connect/disconnect

Post by exigeous »

Ping? Anyone, this has now entered "deal breaker" territory for me and I'm going to have to work out another solution - which I do NOT want to do given my love for Voice Meeter....
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

you may check all windows audio options... including possible power plan...

note that if you disconnect output A1 device, you automatically stop audio engine (because output A1 device define the master stream/clock).

check also you are not ins this case:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=430&p=912
exigeous

Post by exigeous »

Thanks for getting back to me but I don't think any of these apply. I'm using WDM for all input/outputs and have verified power management on all audio devices (and everything on the system). A1 never changes, it's my main speakers - the issue is that when Windows Mixed Reality Portal opens it' enables and disables the headset audio device - basically like plugging in and unplugging it. That, and actually plugging/unplugging any audio device is what "breaks" things.

Anything else I can check or change? I'm really at my wits end as it's so bad it's almost unlivable and I'm going to have to find some other solution, I just don't know if there even is!

~Ross
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

you may try the option "auto restart audio engine"
should works if the output A1 device has been stopped.
exigeous

Post by exigeous »

Vincent Burel wrote:you may try the option "auto restart audio engine"
should works if the output A1 device has been stopped.
Uh, thanks for trying but if you actually read my first post
since the problem isn't on a channel being used I can't use the "auto restart" feature (I understand that monitors channel 1 devices only).
That doesn't work.

At this point I'll just have to find another solution, which is a real shame as I love VM and recommend it to others constantly. But this is so frustrating as damn near every conversation I have gets interrupted by this issue. If ANYONE else has an idea I haven't covered I'd love to hear it.