Feature Request - Inserts for the Master outputs as well

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
s2h

Feature Request - Inserts for the Master outputs as well

Post by s2h »

This is a Feature Request
I'd really like to see Inserts on the A1/A2/A3/B1/B2 Master outputs

I Engineer and Host on a podcast with over 200k subscribers currently
and we use inputs with EQ and compression and processing on them thru a Live Plugin Environment with VST Plugins
but we have no good way of doing the Main outputs, one goes to studio monitors, one goes to feed the other hosts some audio, one goes to broadcast
all 3 need somewhat different processing...

currently I have to take the output to the studio monitor and other hosts thru analog gear and I have to take the broadcast output thru a virtual cable and back into the 4th input to use an insert to do processing before going out to the airwaves.

so it would be a HUGE benefit to be able to put processing on the Master outputs

I dont understand why this hasnt been implemented yet in the software...
it should use the same ASIO as the Inputs so you can have processing in one software audio driver, as most software envirponments only allow for 1 ASIO audio device
-Scott
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request - Inserts for the Master outputs as well

Post by Vincent Burel »

so, as we have a virtual ASIO insert driver for pre-fader inputs, you would like to have a virtual ASIO insert for busses ? right ?
s2h

Post by s2h »

yes
but the inserts for the Master NEEDS to be on the Same ASIO driver as the Input Inserts

that way you can use all inserts (Input and Output) on one VST host program
-Scott
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

this is not possible... PRE BUS processing can be done only after these 4 steps:

1- Audio Source Aggregation
2- PRE-FADER processing (including Virtual ASIO INSERT).
3- Strip Processing
4- BUS Assignation / Gain Fader

So here we need another Virtual ASIO driver to process BUSSES (Master Section).
s2h

Post by s2h »

you need to have a way to get inserts for the outputs into the same ASIO driver as the inserts for Inputs

if its pre fader, then it should not matter at all about anything else on the channels strip

Proper use of an insert is as follows
signal goes into the channel....
hits any gain staging, then into the insert where it can go out to another device or software, then retrun back into the channel strip,
then hit eq/compression/volume/routing etc...

if you are doing it any other way, then you have the insert done wrong

If I am misunderstanding you, then you just need to make some output inserts and have them hit the same ASIO driver as the Input inserts

otherwise.. make WDM Drivers for the inserts and we can all use ASIO4ALL to make it all happen in one audio software VST host to do effects and plugins

there no audio software that allows sharing of 2 ASIO drivers at the same time, its the way ASIO is designed
so having a separate ASIO for Input Inserts and a 2nd one for Output inserts would be pointless..
and there is a definite need for Inserts on the inputs and the outputs

and in reality...
they dont have to be inserted pre fader on the outputs necessarily

we just need a way to get from the output thru the same piece of software as the Input inserts and back to the VM output section to head off to the broadcast software

I can draw it all out on paper if it would help
-Scott
s2h

Post by s2h »

or solution #3,...
which is allow VST Plugins to be used (pre fader) on every input and output
I can always grab a multi plugin VST wrapper and put several plugins into 1 actual vst device per channel
-Scott