Voicemeter Potato Hangs (Hung Process Won't Let Me End It W/O Restart_

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
Bennett_TL

Voicemeter Potato Hangs (Hung Process Won't Let Me End It W/O Restart_

Post by Bennett_TL »

I've been dealing with this issue for several months now, and just recently found a previous thread that discusses a possible solution and that there's an underlying issue with MME and not using default settings I believe. However, one issue that was not documented in the thread was that the process tied to the application that got hung up refuses to die without restarting (ie using task manager or other means of ending the process). I wouldn't care that much about it if it weren't for the fact that this process is using around 15-18% of my CPU capacity. On top of that, it sometimes won't even let me run a second instance of Voicemeter when this happens. In task manager, it says the operation could not be completed, and in another process manager, it says that voicemeter potato has already started it's closing process or something like that and denies it because it's supposedly in the process of exiting the application, though it never does.

**Edit 1 10/10/2019**
Turned WDM Input Exclusive Mode off as per the other thread (see: viewtopic.php?t=482)
Everything else is already at default settings
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: Voicemeter Potato Hangs (Hung Process Won't Let Me End It W/O Restart_

Post by Vincent Burel »

don't understand your problem, but there is no way to run a second instance of Voicemeeter.
Bennett_TL

Post by Bennett_TL »

I'll try to take a screenshot the next time it happens. It's not that I'm trying to run a second instance of Voicemeter. What's happening is that the first Voicemeter process doesn't let me close it when it freezes. There's no way for me to kill the process in Windows. It basically tells me when I try to force the process to end that it is already in the process of closing, but it never closes out and the process stays running. When this happens, I'm able to have a second Voicemeter process running, but the one that is in the process of closing stays up and consumes 15% of my CPU usage.

Edit:
This only happens when it freezes. Normally, If you were to force close/end the process in task manager or through CLI, it would actually close. However, when it freezes and I try to follow the same process, it never closes out. For some reason, I'm still able to open a working and functional 2nd Voicemeter process, and I'm assuming that's because the first process is stuck in some loop where it's trying to close/end itself, but can't.

I haven't really ran across this issue too much since I turned WDM Exclusive mode back to its default setting, though.
zapoqx

Post by zapoqx »

Oh BOY! I love these.
Only had it happen for me a few times in the past and its one of two issues:
1. Messing with settings that make it incompatible/unstable (i.e. Running Engine Mode on Swift instead of Normal, WDM Exclusive yes, etc)
2. Hardware you set for A1 is not stable or drivers in any of the Hardware Out is unstable.

There is a 3rd and more on the rare side, but it would be antivirus is messing with it. But I know what you're talking about. When it freezes, even if you manage to close it somehow via Task Manager, the background service itself is left with access on and the "new" instance of Voicemeeter will not run or it will open, but not run properly. I'd go with the first 2 points though.
Bennett_TL

Post by Bennett_TL »

zapoqx wrote:Oh BOY! I love these.
Only had it happen for me a few times in the past and its one of two issues:
1. Messing with settings that make it incompatible/unstable (i.e. Running Engine Mode on Swift instead of Normal, WDM Exclusive yes, etc)
2. Hardware you set for A1 is not stable or drivers in any of the Hardware Out is unstable.

There is a 3rd and more on the rare side, but it would be antivirus is messing with it. But I know what you're talking about. When it freezes, even if you manage to close it somehow via Task Manager, the background service itself is left with access on and the "new" instance of Voicemeeter will not run or it will open, but not run properly. I'd go with the first 2 points though.
Yeah, the issue pretty much died off when I reset WDM Exclusive mode. The other issue I have is that sometimes when my CPU usage spikes (not to 100% but just spikes in general) or my SDD is making writes, it will sometimes have issue performing reads with all the reads that are being requested and I'll stop hearing audio for 3 seconds and then it'll cut back in. Not really sure exactly what the specific setting is that I need to tweak it to to get it to stop, but also think I should make a new forum post for that one.
zapoqx

Post by zapoqx »

Ooo. With my experience, I'd trace what is causing the CPU spike. Unfortunately, I can't tell you cause the methods I try would be far more complex as it progress on "If this doesn't find it, then this. If not that, then this!" etc etc. Next thing you know, I made a 3 page document.

To me, the most basic sounds like something is demanding alot of resource to disrupt the CPU load on Windows I/O so I would see what is causing the sudden I/O locks on Windows.