My Feedback on 3.0.1.2

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
zapoqx

My Feedback on 3.0.1.2

Post by zapoqx »

So I decided instead of waiting for actual release, I went ahead and updated my Voicemeeter from 3.0.1.0 to 3.0.1.2.
First thing I checked was switching from x86 to x64.
NO LONGER DID IT COMPLAIN ABOUT A LICENSE CHECK when switching. Twas the 1 annoying thing I had when I first tried it and found that for some reason, it made a different activation code for x64 while keeping the x86 at the actual code I am supposed to see. So Thank you!

But I did notice since I still prefer 3 VSTs that unfortunately Voicemeeter doesn't like to have on hand (that I could find), I run Cantabile and it seems that I had an issue where it was fine in most startups on 3.0.1.0 but one in a while, I would get "robotic" and slight distortion sounds when it patches into the ASIO, but turning it off, sound was fine. This is meant for the 2 microphones. I could never figure out the deal when it happens. But switching to 3.0.1.2, it wouldn't stop going into that. Eventually, I switched Virtual ASIO type to Int32LSB and it finally stopped. Restarted and it worked fine. Though I thought Float was better than Int for the ASIO Insert?

Also, I have Cable A/B that I figured to keep seperate anytime I would upgrade which would normally mess with VB-Cable anyways. Well it seems during the upgrade process, it messes with the information in sound settings for Cable A and B and labled A as "Voicemeeter Input" and Cable B as "Voicemeeter VAIO3 Input" while still making the actual Voicemeeter, Aux, and VAIO3 Input virtual devices. Also it would change Cable A's icon to the Voicemeeter Input Icon vs the Cable A input icon. Cable B's icon did not change. Just the name. In the Recording tab, it did roughly the same thing for "output" version. Nothing seemed affected for Function or Configuration however so all I did was change the names back to the way they were and changed the Icons back respectively, but it might be worth noting for those that use VB-Cable A/B and C/D that they may need to reinstall those as well.

Currently testing out doing Swift Engine and WDM Input Exclusive On now (this was the last thing I started on) since I updated my Audio drivers and figured Windows has had enough time to fix the WASAPI bug you were mentioning sometime back so I guess we'll see if that is functioning right with the new version.

I admit, I'm a little confused about the info in regards to "Karaoke" though. Looking at VoiceMeeter Potato interface, it seems the "K" function as explained is only on the AUX VAIO area where the "M.C." once was, but M.C is still showing on VAIO and VAIO3. Visual mistake? Also, what is it supposed to do? Give more of a native bolster to isolating voices out?

I would also ask is there any plans to actually have VST enabled Manually in Voicemeeter? I'm pretty sure people could provide their own so its not needed to make a set, but I wouldn't mind having it for at least meant with Hardware Input area to modify prior to sending out on VAIO1-3.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: My Feedback on 3.0.1.2

Post by Vincent Burel »

thanks for your feedback! here it is some replys/remarks:

1- Activation code for Potato x64 version will work with 32 bit version... the oposite could not be true.
2- There is no modification on our virtual ASIO driver in these last versions 3.0.1.1 or 3.0.1.2
3- if VB-CABLE or VAIO are not presenting the right name or icon, you may re-install them correctly, otherwise you can get strange audio problems:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=688

4- Swift Engine and Exclusive Input mode are stil experimental mode (we do not recommend them).
5- the K-Button is on the Virtual AUX only, as it has been explained since the beginning.
6- for VST plug-ins support we offer a Virtual ASIO Driver for Third Party VST HOST like Cantabile, Element, Minihost Modular, etc... but you can also tell us what kind of audio processing your are missing in Voicemeeter...
VoicemeeterKaraokeFunction.jpg
VoicemeeterKaraokeFunction.jpg (363.95 KiB) Viewed 25103 times
zapoqx

Post by zapoqx »

So for the points...

1. For some reason, Potato x64 was giving a different challenge code compared to 32 bit. When I registered, it was before x64. When I first tried x64, it seemed to work for 1 day, then the next day, it asked me to register when I restarted the PC. Since then up until this version, it was always asking me and putting the code that I had on 32 bit would not work.
2. Ya I figured not, but for some reason, it just works with Int. 3.0.1.0 it didn't work with either version and I know Cantabile updated to supposedly "fix" the issue it had with Voicemeeter specifically and it seemed to just work better, but still not 100% in terms of the robotic/distortion happening randomly on start.
3. I remember that was true and very much so with VB Cable. That was partially what got me to pull the trigger with VB-Cable A/B and during an update check, it worked without issues and this update was the one that decided not to just deal with the VAIO which is kinda hard to be doing an uninstall, restart, uninstall, restart, install, restart, set settings, restart for 15 min while trying to remember if there is any other setting that needs to be checked.
4. No worries, I know. I am trying it out for lower latency reasons as I sometimes try to use Twitch Sings and for some reason, if I do any music, I have to set my voice recording to be roughly 450 ms back to match up the audio. Using Direct while having voicemeeter on still (from the "Shared" mode stuff), I go down to 305 ms back and I figured it has to do with the Voicemeeter running, but I will get to the VST part soon for the reason why I appreciate it (in addition to other stuff).
5. Thanks, I must have missed the AUX only part and the explanation about them.
6. The thing is for VST is I wanted to add some clarity with my mic "for now" until I can get much better audio equipment later on down the road. So I have a TONOR BM-700 and I know that reviews said it was decent with an obvious "Not the greatest" caveat, but it wasn't terrible. The ones that did seem to state it was "bad" was ones that weren't using either a Phantom Power and/or an Audio deck. So mine was set as XLR to 3.5mm, but I sounded low. While boosting the audio via the sound card to +20 or +30 db, I was loud enough, but then I'd have not only hissing, but a weird ting-like sound in addition to randomly every now and then hearing my PC's working in the background on the audio as a noise interference. Removing the +20/+30db and using Voicemeeter Compressor reduces the ting, but the hiss is way more. So upon getting a Phantom Power and hooking it up, the ting went away completely and the hiss lowered down significantly. But, the hiss is still there and while my voice was slightly clearer, I wanted to get it to just the voice and I figured since I don't have any sound dampening in the room despite room echo not really being an issue currently, I figured there is nothing more that I could do other than getting a DAC to hook into. I came across the whole utilizing of VST with REAFIR and spent weeks learning how to utilize it right. While I don't appreciate how much headroom Reafir uses, it works great so I added an EQ on the recommendation for the voice clarity and isolation. Those 2 work great for me. And for my Headset, my Mic I used the reagate VST because for some reason, Voicemeeter's Gate is both too aggressive sometimes and too light on others and Reagate's seems to be right on point, but I also understand that it has alot more controls for that. I also used Reaeq to help with audio which people say I sound clear, but I don't need reafir for that one. I figure if I spent more time with the EQ in Voicemeeter, I could probably solve the reaEQ, but that is another time for me as I noticed that is based on the bus vs the source. But if I could get the control elements for the EQ on the hardware input as well as having Reafir to reduce noise even though there is a headroom issue there due to the calculations (unless I had a newer system where it wouldn't be which is seemingly in the cards in the next few months), then I know it would be amazing for voice clarity. I get the reason why it isn't for the simplicity of what Voicemeeter is supposed to be, but I do believe that there is a need for a noise reduction VST for those that don't have DACs that can eliminate that.
xcasxcursex

Post by xcasxcursex »

Just want to add: reading 6) reminds me of how much I've always wanted attack and release times for the input compressor/gates.

I mean, yes, I know I could run something like Carla (VST host) and then host another VST(i) and use the FX send/returns. I'm familiar with audio production and it's not alien to me it's just....a lot of work for an attack/release envelope. The built-in compressor/gate have so much potential in theory, but in practice tend to not be not so useful. Honestly I could solve my issues by just buying better hardware and not using onboard audio interfaces but.... It's so close to perfect, and yet, so far.

Would adding envelopes to the channel FX be a possibility?
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

there is true compressor in Voicemeeter, we just resume it in a single button.
If you need VST just to get a complete compressor, we can think about providing an advanced dialog box like this:
Compressor.jpg
Compressor.jpg (76.54 KiB) Viewed 25063 times
xcasxcursex

Post by xcasxcursex »

Wow where does that image come from? Something like that in voicemeeter would be amazing :D
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

well, I developped around a hundred of plug-ins between 1997 and 2005:
https://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/F ... /index.htm

will think about... implementing a full compressor advanced dialog box in Voicemeeter Potato could make sense...
zapoqx

Post by zapoqx »

So I wanted to update this.

First off, I'm going to be updating to 3.0.1.3 soon. Being stuck at home has its perks, but it has its cons when you're doing a surge of unexpected EXTRA work.

So, it turns out the "crash" issue with the audio I may have figured out. But to get there, let me backstep.

My speakers were starting to give this issue where anything coming out of right channel was kinda bad. I couldn't quite figure out what was going on to be honest. So I went through some investigations. I went ahead and removed the speakers and switched to a newer set of speakers, figuring it was the speakers finally dying out and the right channel speaker was also the power controller so I couldn't just fix it. Things seemed to be working, but I noticed my USB was cutting out more and more often for no reason and couldn't figure out why. Suddenly, my right speaker was doing the EXACT same thing as my old speakers. So on a weird hunch, I try plugging in my test USB Audio adapter meant for my old laptop that had a bad onboard sound card. Sound worked. It worked perfectly. After checking the audio ports, it seems the audio chip and jacks must be dying. So with some assistance, I had access to a spare soundcard via PCI (I was actually surprised that my motherboard still had 1 PCI Slot). So I went ahead and plugged in an ASUS Xonar DS/A1, turned off onboard audio, and went in. Got unfortunately modded drivers cause apparently that doesn't exist anymore for that card and so the last available ones would also work for Windows 10. Started it up, set Voicemeeter to it as A1 under WDM, and Audio worked perfectly!

But now I had the new issue where my headset would randomly lose audio for no reason. Sometimes quickly, sometimes after more hours pass, but wasn't more than 24 hours lasting without something causing it. So after thinking about how I had issues with "KS" method before, I set the Xonar AND my Headset audio to KS.

I can definitely say that after 48 hours, its still going and working quite well. So I guess my Realtek was indeed having more underlying issues that I didn't know about (but given that I need to get a new system anyways as I helped someone with a new AMD setup and his audio had NO issues with VoiceMeeter at all and with some configuration assistance, may have lead to him wanting to pay for it, he has been enjoying it with those few quick setting changes). The Xonar also has ASIO so I may end up trying that soon to see if that makes it any better and more importantly, keep stability. Unfortunately, while the Mic port had a little better audio sound, unfortunately, sound was still too sensitive so I still needed Cantibile for cleaning up the audio slightly (mainly removing noise and not hearing the pin drop in the hallway).