Voicemeeter (Potato) suggestions

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
Atg

Voicemeeter (Potato) suggestions

Post by Atg »

I think all faders/inputs should have same options like tracks in DAW, or at least some options - parametric EQ and mono. For example I use VAIO as main playback device, AUX for music and VAIO 3 for browsers and sometimes I watch badly produced video with audio only in left channel and I dont want to mono whole A1 output I only want to mono VAIO 3 and keep other virtual inputs in stereo. Same with parametric EQ if there some bad frequency I want to get rid off only in one virtual input. I even heard some people like to put compression and eq on virtual inputs to process audio from games, and they have to use VST.

Regarding hardware inputs. I personally dont use anything here except routing: I have guitar and mic connected here and everything is processed through asio patch insert by VST plugins, but somebody might find it more convenient to just use built-in compressor, noise gate and then some precise EQ, for example I use in my VST 300hz -10db shelf to minimize "muddiness" from dynamic mic proximity effect.

So in short I think all inputs should have mono and parametric EQ buttons (or any simple way to use), like Hardware Outs and maybe virtual inputs should have compression and gate knobs and limiter.

And some QoL features would be great. Like option to hide list of apps volume if somebody want to demonstrate their voicemeteer setup without showing what apps are running. Hotleys modifiers to raise/lower faders by different value by mouse scrollwheel, for example while holding Ctrl scrollwheel with change fader by 1db, while holding Alt+Ctrl - by 0.1db or something like that.
RobBoss

Re: Voicemeeter (Potato) suggestions

Post by RobBoss »

Atg wrote:Regarding hardware inputs. I personally dont use anything here except routing: I have guitar and mic connected here.....
IMO it is not realistic that all your wishes come true in the next days.
So, if you need a mono switch for VAIO3 so badly, there is a very simple workaround:
:arrow:
Select one Virtual Audio Cable as an Output and the same as HW Input!
Voila, a patch cable from Virtual Input to Hardware Input.
I use that regularly to enhance low quality audio sources with INTELLI PAN.
Atg

Post by Atg »

I already use Virtual Cable for compressing, de-essing, etc output sounds from discord, teamspeak. I thought built-in compressor and gate will be enough but I ended up using vst plugins anyway for better control, and there was no reasons to change anything since.
RobBoss

Post by RobBoss »

Atg wrote:I already use Virtual Cable for compressing, de-essing, etc output sounds from discord, teamspeak. I thought built-in compressor and gate will be enough but I ended up using vst plugins anyway for better control, and there was no reasons to change anything since.
You have asked for a mono switch for the virtual inputs.
Sorry, but what do you do with a Virtual Cable in conjunction of VST processing?
In your introduction you have written:
".... and everything is processed through asio patch insert by VST plugins".
PATCH INSERT!
So, what is the purpose of the Virtual Cable in that scenario?
Or do you have used the term "Virtual Cable" as a placeholder (synonym) for PATCH INSERT usage?
Atg

Post by Atg »

It was your suggestion to use Virtual cable instead any of 3 Virtual Inputs. But I already have it in use. When there was no Voicemeteer Potato, I needed "separate" device/track just for voice apps outputs (TS, discord) and Comp and Gate were available only for hardware inputs, so best logical way was to install Virtual Cable, but I was not satisfied how compressor sounds, attack/release time, etc. so I ended up with VST plugins and patch insert. In Potato there is more virtual inputs but if somebody decided to do same thing they still need to install at least virtual cable. With proper buttons/options (like mono switch, parametric EQ) there will be no need to search workarounds with patch inserts and vst plugins except some specific things.
RobBoss

Post by RobBoss »

Atg wrote:It was your suggestion to use Virtual cable instead any of 3 Virtual Inputs.....
Not instead.
Together!
Keep your routing with VAIO3 for browsers, etc.
Use a Virtual Cable to connect VAIO3 with a HW Input.

Example:
Select the Virtual Cable as A5 output.
Select that Virtual Cable as HW Input.
Activate for VAIO3 A5 output connection!
That way you can decide if you route the audio to the HW Input or not on-the-fly (for multichannel sources you do not want to use the 2-Channel Cable/HW Input).
Another advantage: you have the INTELLIPAN options plus the 3-Band Graphic EQ of the Virtual Input strip.
Of course, you can still use PATCH INSERT for additional VST processing.

It can be a little bit confusing, especially for users that use sometimes Banana and other times Potato to select the correct PATCH INSERT pins for the VAIOs with some VST hosts (IL MiniHostModular and some others).
It is much easier to select the PATCH INSERT pins for the HW Input strips (as long as you can count to ten). :D
RobBoss

Post by RobBoss »

RobBoss wrote:Another advantage: you have the INTELLIPAN options plus the 3-Band Graphic EQ of the Virtual Input strip.
Of course, you can still use PATCH INSERT for additional VST processing.
Damn.
Best thing I had forgotton:
Using a Hardware Output (A5) with the Virtual Cable and connect that to one of the HW Input strips, you also can use the (A5) bus 6-Band Parametric EQ for frequency surgery! :D
Atg

Post by Atg »

https://i.imgur.com/LsPFTyh.png Here is how my setup looks like. Sending audio to the virtual cable can interfere with voice chat output and not very convenient overall unlike if there was mono button on virtual inputs. I dont need parametric EQ often but mono button is a must (as I said e.g. bad videos on youtube with sound only in left channel).