Request about messy VAIO names

VB-Cable A & B, HIFI-Cable, ASIO Bridge
piflyon

Request about messy VAIO names

Post by piflyon »

Hi to whom rules the audio world ! (Si besoin je peux tout écrire en français, mais dans le doute....)

I have a request about virtual cables names.
It is really difficult to select the right Input/Output because their names are not consistent.
I use Potatoe on Windows 10

VAIO 1 -> is named VB-audio VoiceMeeter VAIO
VAIO 2 -> is named VB-Audio Voicemeeter VAIO Aux
VAIO 3 -> is named VAIO 3

The difficulty increases as the names are really long, and in some softwares I can't even see the end of the name of the input/Output (the relevant part !).
Could you change that ? Or teach me how to rename these peripherals simplier (VAIO 1, VAIO 2, VAIO 3). The same in Potatoe (at the top of the tracks).

Idem for Cable A,B,C,D... I don't get the same names depending on the software. In Caprice (Amstrad emulator) I get for instance 2 Cable D :
-Cable-D Input (VB-Audio Cable D)
-Cable-D Input (VB-Audio Virtual Cable)
I have not clue of what can be the difference between these two inputs. The same for cable B & C. Cable A ? I don't find it. Maybe it has another name...

I don't know how to put an image in the forum, but believe me : it's a real mess and a real pain to set things up (i use 7 tracks on Potatoe).

I would be very happy if you could clean names, make them shorter ("VB-Audio" instead of "Voicemeeter VB-Audio").

Even writing this post took me a long time because of shearching the names :lol: , I hope you have some idea or plan to make these names easier to find/understand. :geek:
Thank you !
PS: I have some request about Potatoe, but I will write them in the appropriate forum :)
ByronWillis

Re: Request about messy VAIO names

Post by ByronWillis »

I agree. The naming conventions confuse me as well.

I use Potato. If it were up to me, I'd recommend something like:
Inputs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 (where 6, 7, and 8 are virtual)
Outputs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 (where 6, 7, and 8 are virtual)

Virtual cable recording / playback devices. VC = Virtual Cable. VP = Voicemeeter Potato.
VC
VC-A
VC-B
VC-C
VC-D
VP-6
VP-7
VP-8
piflyon

Post by piflyon »

Maybe exists a way to rename them directly in Windows ? I did not find yet.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

nop, device pin name & icon are expected to be hardcoded in the driver (and reset on windows startup)
this is made to avoid confusing in driver pin and detect possible WIN10 update problem.

here it is the History:

The first VAIO came with voicemeeter standard and has been naturally called "Voicemeeter Virtual input".
The second one came with Banana and has been called "Voicemeeter Virtual AUX input"...
And the third came later again with Voicemeeter Potato, and has been logically called "VAIO-3"

If today it appears more consistent to have simple name like VAIO-1, 2, 3... we cannot change it because we cannot evaluate the amount of mail support it could generate. Changing driver name will ask to users to remake the audio device assignation in different applications to connect them to the right device pin...
MinuitPro

Post by MinuitPro »

A+B stay the same after reboot - would it hurt to let the other ones do the same? Or is that a bug with A+B?

Additionally, the icons for C+D are incorrect.
2020-11-06_084442.jpg
2020-11-06_084442.jpg (30.43 KiB) Viewed 30157 times
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

it means your audio stack is broken, you may re-install our driver step by step, as explained in message #2 of this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=451
MinuitPro

Post by MinuitPro »

It seems even after fully re-installing, C & D just won't display correctly. I didn't even get to installing Potato back at this point.
VC_CD.jpg
VC_CD.jpg (89.44 KiB) Viewed 29921 times
I've tried uninstalling and re-installing twice - is there something else to try to ensure these behave right?
MinuitPro

Post by MinuitPro »

After installing Potato, the same mess is back and the previous settings were all there - it's like uninstalling does not wipe clean the VB-Audio products.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

maybe you could de-install them again and

try the solution given by ConsumeDinner on twitter
https://twitter.com/ConsumeDinner/statu ... 5036575745

eel free to let us know your experience on this...
HumanSpyware

Post by HumanSpyware »

piflyon wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:26 pm Could you change that ? Or teach me how to rename these peripherals simplier (VAIO 1, VAIO 2, VAIO 3). The same in Potatoe (at the top of the tracks).

I would be very happy if you could clean names, make them shorter ("VB-Audio" instead of "Voicemeeter VB-Audio").
This would have been soooo much better indeed.
Vincent Burel wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:58 am If today it appears more consistent to have simple name like VAIO-1, 2, 3... we cannot change it because we cannot evaluate the amount of mail support it could generate. Changing driver name will ask to users to remake the audio device assignation in different applications to connect them to the right device pin...
I know this would be even more work but would an option, in the install to change the driver names to a "newer" naming convention, be doable ?
By default the option would keep the "classic" names on the drivers, and if the user changes it he would have the VAIO 1, 2 & 3 driver names.

This would be so much easier to configure for someone (like me) that understand jack s**t about how anything sound related works ^^
This and a simple tutorial on the forum would be great :p