Is it possible to transfer sound between Discord and a video game?

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
fortgain

Is it possible to transfer sound between Discord and a video game?

Post by fortgain »

Is it possible to configure Voicemeeter so that the participants in the conversation in Discord and VrChat can hear me and each other through my sound card. I'm currently using Voicemeeter Banana, but I can't avoid echo.
Can Voicemeeter Potato help me or can I customize Banana or is this task basically impossible to solve?
This is also relevant for transferring audio between Discord and Skype or other messengers.
Last edited by fortgain on Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Andres

Re: Is it possible to transfer sound between Discord and a video game?

Post by Andres »

Hi. ¿Could you post a screenshot of Voicemeeter Banana to see how everything is connected?
Voicemeeter Banana provides 2 virtual audio inputs which are not enough to control chat, game and system sound independently. You could:
  • Use Voicemeeter Potato (3 virtual inputs)
  • Add a VB-Cable (Virtual Audio Cable) and use it with Voicemeeter Banana
Example.png
Example.png (122.09 KiB) Viewed 13283 times
fortgain

Post by fortgain »

Here, the Foobar audio player transmits sound to VrChat and Discord via VoiceMeeter AUX at normal volume, and transmits sound to the headphones via CABLE Output with a reduced volume level (-7.9).
If I change the Output device in Discord from default to VoiceMeeter AUX Input, then VrChat's participants hear Discord's participants, but Discord's participants hear the echo of their voices.
Alternative virtual cable Line 1 (Virtual cable) in HARDWARE Input 3 is not involved now and I do not know if it can be useful to me.
Can I solve the problem with Voicemeeter Banana or I need a third VIRTUAL INPUT in Voicemeeter Potato?
Last edited by fortgain on Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

in your setup, Discord gets audio from Voicemeeter virtual output = BUS B1...
so all sources sent to BUS B1 will go in Discord.
you must not send Discord output in BUS B1 (Discord plays back in Voicemeeter Virtual AUX input) !!!
fortgain

Post by fortgain »

Vincent Burel wrote:in your setup, Discord gets audio from Voicemeeter virtual output = BUS B1...
so all sources sent to BUS B1 will go in Discord.
you must not send Discord output in BUS B1 (Discord plays back in Voicemeeter Virtual AUX input) !!!
I understand that. Therefore, I do not use this setting on Discord, because VoiceMeeter AUX Input normally transmits Discord's audio to VrChat without echoing, but participants of Discord hear an echo of their voices. And I need to transfer sound to VrChat and without echo to Discord. Usually my Discord sends audio to VoiceMeeter Input and there is no sound transmission between Discord and VrChat.
Andres

Post by Andres »

Hi. You need one output to send audio to Discord and a different one to send audio to VRChat (It seems like you are currently using B1 output = VoiceMeeter Output in both programs). Your options include:
  • Use B2 to send audio to Discord: Are you currently using B2?
  • Use Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable) to send audio to Discord: This requires to remove it from Hardware Input 3 and selecting Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable) as your Input Device in Discord
But you also need to use an audio input to receive audio from Discord and a different one to receive audio from VRChat (Apparently you are currently using VoiceMeeter Input (VB-Audio VoiceMeeter VAIO) in both programs). You can use Hardware Input 3 to receive audio from Discord; this requires a Virtual Audio Cable.
fortgain

Post by fortgain »

Andreas, Hi, and thank you very much for your help!
According to your instructions, I tuned and tested the sound on two computers and now everything works perfectly.
Indeed, B2 was not used, and now everything is involved.
Interestingly, what if in this way I still need to connect Skype, then I already need Voicemeeter Potato?
Andres

Post by Andres »

Hi. Nice to hear you configured Voicemeeter according to your needs. Adding Skype requires an additional input and output to avoid loops. I think you are using all the available outputs but maybe I am wrong. ¿Could you please share an additional screenshot to review?
Voicemeeter Potato provides additional features which could simplify and provide more flexibility in your setup (for example setting a different volume level for the media player in each output).
fortgain

Post by fortgain »

Andres wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:46 pm screenshot
ImageImage

VRChat:
Andres

Post by Andres »

Hi. I can't find a solution using only Voicemeeter Banana. Connecting Skype requires an additional virtual input and output which is not available. Using an additional Virtual Audio Cable you could try a more complex setup but I think you should try to simplify your setup instead of adding more components to it. If you depend on Voicemeeter Banana I could try to describe this alternative. Please let me know.