Multiple output issue

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
Rusty Gunz

Multiple output issue

Post by Rusty Gunz »

I want to use Voicemeeter, Voicemeeter Banana or Voicemeeter Potato - which ever is the most appropriate - to send all PC sounds to a) the HDMI port on my MB and b) the 3.5 mm outputs on my MB.

This is my setup:
1. Vizio soundbar (Dolby 5.1 configuration) connected to the MB HDMI port
2. Stereo speakers w/SW connected to 3.5 mm MB outputs via splitter
3. Buttkicker connected to 3.5 mm MB outputs via same splitter

I want to have surround sound from the soundbar (for MSFS 2020) along with Buttkicker functionality. I turn off the soundbar when not simming and I turn off the stereo speakers when I am simming. Buttkicker is not necessary when using the stereo speakers, the SW output is sufficient.

With the standard Windows setup, I have either:
a) Buttkicker with soundbar but no surround sound or
b) Soundbar with surround sound but no Buttkicker

The a) and b) options are determined by which playback device is the Default. I get a) when the speakers are the default and b) when the soundbar is the default.

Can one of the Voicemeter versions resolve this for me? If so, which one and how should I configure it?
I feel more like I do now than I did when I started today. ;)
TestXpress

Re: Multiple output issue

Post by TestXpress »

Should be easy even with VM standard and Virtual Cable (use Virtual Cable for FS and VAIO as default, link HW outputs to the 2 sound devices and route the sound accordingly).
The splitter behind the 3.5 mm jack is not relevant in this context, I guess. It just duplicates the 3.5 mm output signal, correct? Your system doesn't care about.

Have you read the manual? Have you tried it?
Rusty Gunz

Post by Rusty Gunz »

I've been trying to decipher some of the instructional videos on youtube, most of which are way beyond the simple application I want to accomplish. Guess I will refer to the manual (always the last resort ;) ). My understanding was that: 1) a "Virtual Cable" was not necessary and 2) it was not included with VM standard.

Yes, the splitter duplicates the 3.5 mm output signal.

Thanks for your response. I was beginning to think, after several days of no replies, that either no one cared or no one had an answer. I do appreciate your assistance.

Question - I assume that FS is for Flight Simulator, but in what context are you using "VAIO" and "HW"?

Ken in Kansas
Rusty Gunz

Post by Rusty Gunz »

Turns out the instructional video I watched was flawed. They never set VM as Default in the Windows Sound settings. Once I did that, started VM, set A1 & A2 everything worked flawlessly. Looks like I'll be making a donation. :D

Ken in Kansas
Rusty Gunz

Post by Rusty Gunz »

"Spoke" (posted) too soon. Still no joy. :(

Installed Banana. VB-Audio Voicemeeter VAIO is set as default in Windows Sound panel. In Banana, A1 is set to soundbar & A2 is set to stereo speakers. When playing Dolby 5.1 DVD, I have 5.1 thru soundbar, no audio thru stereo speakers, hence no Buttkicker. Not seeing any audio meter display for A2 during playback - only A1. B1 in the Master Section does show audio meter with "audio", however. And, naturally, Virtual Input Voicemeeter VAIO also displays audio meter movement.

BTW, Systems Settings/Options shows A1 (the soundbar) as six channels and A2 (the stereo speakers) as 2 channels.

What am I doing wrong?

Ken in Kansas
Andres

Post by Andres »

Hi Ken. In Voicemeeter Banana you should check the ►A2 button in the input strip Voicemeeter VAIO. This will send the 5.1 audio to the speakers. Then in the Master Section choose a routing mode for output A2 like Mix Down A.

As an additional question does your mainboard audio solution supports multichannel audio (i.e. 5.1)?
Last edited by Andres on Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty Gunz

Post by Rusty Gunz »

Bonjour, Andres. Merci beaucoup pour votre repondez. Ton anglais est bien meilleur que mon français. So I guess we should use English for a better understanding on my part.

I will try your suggestions a little later today and let you know the result.

In answer to your question - yes, my mainboard (I assume you are referring to the "motherboard") does support multi-channel output. As I mentioned earlier in the messages, my soundbar is connected to the motherboard's HDMI port and does have 5.1 audio when I selected it as the default audio device while playing a DVD with Dolby 5.1. So I know the 5.1 output is there and operational.

Additionally, the 2.1 output is also present from the motherboard when I have "speakers" selected as the default audio device.

Ken in Kansas
Rusty Gunz

Post by Rusty Gunz »

Andre,

That worked! :D :D Thanks for your assistance.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. We had guests the last few days.

Ken in Kansas
Andres

Post by Andres »

Hi Ken. Well done! I am glad you solved this issue. Please let us know if you need further assistance.