VB Cable and MS Teams

VB-Cable A & B, HIFI-Cable, ASIO Bridge
SteveM51UK

VB Cable and MS Teams

Post by SteveM51UK »

Before the New Year I had successfully used VB Cable to stop Microsoft Teams messing around with my microphone, but since the New Year that fix no longer works. Does anyone have any info on this?

The issue is that Teams insists on controlling the mic volume; if you have a noise cancelling headset then, when you're not talking, Teams ramps up the mic volume level and this causes background noise for everyone else on the meeting.

Using VB Cable, the fix is to only allow Teams to access the VB Cable device which in turn is connected to the mic. Teams is then not given any way to change the mic volume and everything was working properly.

After the New Year this no longer works - Teams hears no sound from the VB Cable and only works if I give it access to the mic once more.

I suspect that Teams has had an update and that this is causing the problem. Maybe VB Cable needs a matching update to get it working again?
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: VB Cable and MS Teams

Post by Vincent Burel »

- first you may check your VB-CABLE is still well installed and did not get a problem after win10 update.
- then you can try any fix regarding cracklinh issue.
- think to check the Windows sound communication option.
SteveM51UK

Post by SteveM51UK »

Thanks for the reply Vincent. I did think about maybe a Windows Update screwed things up. Tomorrow I'll try uninstall and re-install and will report back what happens.
SteveM51UK

Post by SteveM51UK »

The uninstallation fails - see attached image. The screen capture is deemed too big to attach, so here's a Google Photos link to it - https://photos.app.goo.gl/MZzZWgimSPMHBLnx7

I then went in to Device Manager and selected in turn the VB Cable input device and output device and uninstalled them.

Still I cannot re-install them because the installer insists that it already exists and needs to be uninstalled first.

I rebooted and the devices are back again in Device Manager and I'm back where I started.

Any suggestions?
SteveM51UK

Post by SteveM51UK »

OK - finally a successful outcome...

FIRST the re-install. I had been simply hitting the installer and accepting its option to uninstall first - that doesn't work. I also tried using Device Manager to uninstall, but afterwards the VB Cable installer still figured it needed to uninstall. I also used Device Manager to uninstall and then used CCleaner to clean out the registry etc before hitting the installer again. In hindsight, although I often use such a route the solution was too simple: go through Control Panel to Features and Programs and uninstall from there. Re-installation then works.

SECOND the issue with Teams: I reconfigured everything as described here all over again: https://sysadmin-central.com/2020/08/05 ... one-audio/ and now, once again, I can use Teams without it interfering with my Mic settings and levels.

SOLVED.