Voicemeeter and Statics, Stuttering, Crackling sound & Choppy audio

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
robertkjr3d

Re: Voicemeeter and Statics, Stuttering, Crackling sound

Post by robertkjr3d »

Gobbo wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:09 am
kamikazedan wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:28 pm Hey, I found a fix for this I think.

Made a tutorial here:
https://youtu.be/71HrZfR_Fro

Let me know if helps!
It fixed perfectly for me.
Thanks!
i tried this interesting fix. And variations of the kind. Even expanding it to other audio processes. The technique seems sound. But unfortunately, it did nothing to solve my distortion robotic issues. He was specifically talking about 'Discord'. But I was hoping the concept would work just the same.
gucci

Re: Voicemeeter and Statics, Stuttering, Crackling sound & Choppy audio

Post by gucci »

Hi,

Disclaimer: I only sort of know what I'm doing.

I just swapped from Potato to Banana and was tweaking macros when I somehow messed up my virtual audio cable strip (Spotify). Now, WDM is unusably choppy+ "blown out," while MME is ok but also has small interruptions. Everything else is fine.

I tried recording/playing back A1 (my speakers) to test it as mentioned above somewhere, and the choppiness does get picked up there.

Here's a picture of my setup.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Drew Butler

Post by Drew Butler »

I had 3 output devices; my headphones and 2 identical monitors with built-in speakers. I had crackling for the longest time and couldn't figure out why. I had tried adjusting sample rates and all sorts of stuff. I finally figured out even though I only had one monitor configured in Voicemeeter, it was the issue. My guess on why is this: given they were both identical monitors, they had identical drivers. I would have to go into sound control panel to manually change their names (Sceptre E24, Sceptre E24 --> Sceptre E24 #1, Sceptre E24 #2.) Every once and a while they would change their names back for some unexplained reason. I would think that the Windows assigned name would be a registry value. I then tried completely removing the monitors from Voicemeeter, it worked perfectly. I don't think Voicemeeter would be to blame, but its a weird issue I had and figured it may help someone to know this.

TLDR: Identical audio devices may cause crackling, I don't know for sure.
xRYANx555

Post by xRYANx555 »

This has become a problem for me as well for some reason. When I load up a game usually, it will trigger the robotic sounding audio. I have to restart the audio engine. Then sometimes it will just keep happening over and over, and now it's gotten to where it happens all the time. I've tried everything I read about in this thread, and nothing helps. I uninstalled all of it and reinstalled it. I put everything as default configuration. If there was a hosting option for me to post my settings screen here, I would do so. I'm beginning to think that this is just a bug that is being left unresolved in the software and that a LOT of people experience this but just get frustrated and just uninstall it and never look back.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

first of all, you may have installed the last Voicemeeter version
REM: Some game are not able to play correct in an audio device if this device is not the default playback one.

Secondly , you may post a screenshot of Voicemeeter and its system settings dialog box to let me see your configuration.
xRYANx555

Post by xRYANx555 »

Vincent Burel wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:09 am first of all, you may have installed the last Voicemeeter version
REM: Some game are not able to play correct in an audio device if this device is not the default playback one.

Secondly , you may post a screenshot of Voicemeeter and its system settings dialog box to let me see your configuration.
- I am using 3.0.2.1, the newest version.
- Even when the audio is being sent to the default playback device, the problem still happens.
- No matter how small I try to make an image, the forum software doesn't accept it as small enough. Everything is at default settings though, with 3 inputs: 1 Microphone at 48000 Hz buf:528, 1 Microphone at 48000 Hz buf: 528, 1 Virtual Cable at 44100 Hz buf:485. (All WDM)
My WDM output device is headphones at 44100 Hz buf:512.
- I've tried changing the preferred main sampling rate and that of the ASIO SR to 48000 Hz to match that of the inputs, with no improvement. I tried increasing the sampling buffering for WDM a bit, and that didn't seem to stop it either.
- When I remove all of those inputs except for the first microphone, it seems to do OK but that isn't conclusive.
Last edited by xRYANx555 on Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

you may use the attachment function to add an image in your post, it does not work ?

anyway, you may let me know:
1- the output A1 Device parameters (samplerate, buffer...)
2- what is your default playback device.
xRYANx555

Post by xRYANx555 »

Vincent Burel wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:26 pm you may use the attachment function to add an image in your post, it does not work ?

anyway, you may let me know:
1- the output A1 Device parameters (samplerate, buffer...)
2- what is your default playback device.
- When I try to add a picture at a decent size it says the file is too large. I have shrunken it down to what it will accept but it is very small.
- Main Device = A1 SR:48000 Hz buf:512 Ch:2 r:16 - WDM (Headphones)
- I don't know what the "r" stands for but the "r" on my mic inputs is 24 and it is 16 on my A1 output. I don't know if that matters.

These are the settings that I tried with everything pretty much at default:
Voicementer System Settings - sized.png
Voicementer System Settings - sized.png (179.67 KiB) Viewed 54421 times
But these below are my preferred ones because the sampling rates are adapted to match up better, in my opinon:
Voicementer System Settings 2 sized.png
Voicementer System Settings 2 sized.png (163.31 KiB) Viewed 54421 times
xRYANx555

Post by xRYANx555 »

Seeing as how there seems to be no proffered solution to my issue, I would appreciate this being passed on to the developers/programmers so that they can possibly work on a patch. Thanks.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

if you cannot get a stable main stream with your current output A1 Audio interface.
you may try other audio interface (MME, KS or ASIO if present).

Otherwise use another audio device as output A1, for example your motherboard audio device.

for more help you may go on our Discord Server maybe.