Linking VoiceMeeter output volume to VoiceMeeter Input (ROOT) device volume?

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
FearNaBoinne

Linking VoiceMeeter output volume to VoiceMeeter Input (ROOT) device volume?

Post by FearNaBoinne »

Would it be possible (either directly or through a script on something like AHK) to link VoiceMeeter's A-bus output volume to the volume of the VoiceMeeter Input (ROOT) device volume?

The reason I am asking is because hooking the volume up/down does work for volume control, but for me it breaks a few other applications that respond to volume changes, which no longer get notified because the events are intercepted by VoiceMeeter.

Being able to link the A bus output volume to the Input device's volume level would still allow me to use the volume controls (FN+Scroll up/down on mouse, Volume up/down keys on keyboard, Volume controls on my Stream Deck and finally the volume rotary knob), but wouldn't break any of those controls' (or the other apps I use, like WinMute, Artemis or 3RVX) ability to respond to volume events!
xcasxcursex

Re: Linking VoiceMeeter output volume to VoiceMeeter Input (ROOT) device volume?

Post by xcasxcursex »

Sure can mate! If you like AHK, you will love VMR.ahk, it's totally awesome: https://github.com/SaifAqqad/VMR.ahk
This is a wrapper for the VoiceMeeter API to be used in AHK. I can't say enough cool things about it.

That being said, it shouldn't be quite so difficult. If you use a VoiceMeeter Macro Button and bind the volume control keys there, and *don't* tick the 'Exclusive Key' box, then the volume control inputs should be seen by all your apps.

I'm sure you can figure it out but I'll save you looking up the syntax: Set the keyboard shortcut to "VOL +", Button Type to "Push Button", and in the 'Request for Button ON' box type "Bus[1].Gain+=1". Same again with minus signs for volume down.

PS 3RVX seems fun, I hadn't heard of that, so thanks! Also I'm curious, do you mean Artemis the RGB lighting app? That's outstanding and sorely under-used. You strike me as something of a 'power-user' so if it's not that, I'm very curious :)

Hope that helps!
FearNaBoinne

Re: Linking VoiceMeeter output volume to VoiceMeeter Input (ROOT) device volume?

Post by FearNaBoinne »

xcasxcursex wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:29 am Sure can mate! If you like AHK, you will love VMR.ahk, it's totally awesome: https://github.com/SaifAqqad/VMR.ahk
This is a wrapper for the VoiceMeeter API to be used in AHK. I can't say enough cool things about it.
NICE!
xcasxcursex wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:29 am That being said, it shouldn't be quite so difficult. If you use a VoiceMeeter Macro Button and bind the volume control keys there, and *don't* tick the 'Exclusive Key' box, then the volume control inputs should be seen by all your apps.

I'm sure you can figure it out but I'll save you looking up the syntax: Set the keyboard shortcut to "VOL +", Button Type to "Push Button", and in the 'Request for Button ON' box type "Bus[1].Gain+=1". Same again with minus signs for volume down.
I'll try that!
xcasxcursex wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:29 am PS 3RVX seems fun, I hadn't heard of that, so thanks! Also I'm curious, do you mean Artemis the RGB lighting app? That's outstanding and sorely under-used. You strike me as something of a 'power-user' so if it's not that, I'm very curious :)
Yes, I like 3RVX... It's compact and useful!

I do mean the RGB Lighting App Artemis... There is a plugin that will show the current output device's volume as a databinding.

I show CPU usage on my F-keys and RAM usage on the numeral row (1 <> =) of my Blackwidow, but when the volume changes, there is an overlay layer that shows the volume on the F-keys for a few seconds (in a different color, so it is clear it's not the CPU value)
FearNaBoinne

Post by FearNaBoinne »

So I have been experimenting, and the combination of SoundGet and VMW.bus[1].gain are looking good (I did have to craft a 'percentage to dB' formula, as the VMR.ahk does have getPercentage(dB) but not getdB(percentage) :D ), so I am happy with that.

Does anyone know though why the virtual VoiceMeeter Input device won't mute? I tried muting from the volume control, EarTrumpet and the mute button on my volume dial, but it doesn't actually mute.

I was thinking of using the mute state of the VM device as a toggle for the bus mute!

PS: Just for the record, if anyone needs it, the (simplified) formula to use is:

Code: Select all

dB := 20*log((0.00999*master_volume)+0.001)