Setup for 2 Virtual Inputs

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
shutthatdaw

Setup for 2 Virtual Inputs

Post by shutthatdaw »

Hello All

I hope that someone can point me in the right direction with a problem I have with audio routing

OS is Win 10 16G RAM Audio Interface MOTU M2

What I am trying to achieve is to take the output of one DAW (Ableton) into a channel in 2nd DAW (Bitwig) The reason for this is there is a program that works well in Ableton that I have not be able to get it to work in Bitwig, so sending from Ableton into Bitwig seems to be a suitable work around.

I have tried using JACK but that doesn't seem to save the settings and is also very unstable at least on my machine.

So if this can be done can you advise how and what version of Voicemeeter would be suitable.

Thanks for all and any help.
Andres

Re: Setup for 2 Virtual Inputs

Post by Andres »

Hi. I have never used Voicemeeter as a bridge between 2 DAWs but I think You could explore this alternative:
Use Voicemeeter Banana and select your USB audio interface as Hardware Out and Hardware Input. Voicemeeter will receive/send audio from/to your interface-connected devices (Microphone/Headphones/Speakers)
Use Voicemeeter Banana Insert Virtual ASIO to send/receive audio to/from Ableton
In Bitwig select Voicemeeter AUX Virtual ASIO to receive/send audio from/to Ableton

Each item involves changing settings in Voicemeeter, Ableton and Bitwig.

The first step is described in this guide: https://voicemeeter.com/setup-a-mic-wit ... interface/

To use Voicemeeter Insert Virtual ASIO, select that device in the Ableton settings. That driver will provide 22 Input / 22 Output channels that correspond to this in VoiceMeeter System Settings / Options window:
Voicemeeter Banana PATCH INSERT 22-channels.png
Voicemeeter Banana PATCH INSERT 22-channels.png (9.72 KiB) Viewed 7710 times
Once you select Voicemeeter Insert Virtual ASIO Ableton will receive audio from Voicemeeter; to send audio back from Ableton to Voicemeeter click the small square boxes in the desired channel.

In Bitwig select VoiceMeeter Virtual ASIO or VoiceMeeter Virtual AUX ASIO. Virtual ASIO is rconnected to the Voicemeeter VAIO Virtual Input and VoiceMeeter Output (B1). AUX Virtual ASIO is connected to VoiceMeeter AUX virtual input and VoiceMeeter AUX Output (B2).

You can try to ask for help with your setup at the VB-Audio Discord server where you can share screenshots or voice chat with other users.

Hope this helps as a starting point.
shutthatdaw

Re: Setup for 2 Virtual Inputs

Post by shutthatdaw »

Thank you for your reply, it must have taken you some time which I very much appreciate.

Well I have set it up as you suggested, the output from the problem program (VCV Rack) goes into Ableton and back out to Bitwig where it seems I have control over the output into the Audio Interface. I say seems because the visual indicators in Bitwig are responding to Voicemeeters faders.

However the sound I am hearing is coming from Ableton not Bitwig. This is obviously a mis-setup on my part which is going to take a bit to sort out.
My thanks once again

Regards