Help with USB Audio Interface - Onboard soundcard Setup

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
ElectricEye

Help with USB Audio Interface - Onboard soundcard Setup

Post by ElectricEye »

Hello,

i hope everyone is well during these trying times with Covid.
I'm asking for your guidance in order to figure out how to setup Voicemeeter with the aforementioned devices.
First of all i do not know which Voicemeeter version will work in my situation.

Current Setup
Onboard sound card (Realtek) and Headset w/ mic.
As seen in the attached pictures along with Voicemeeter settings.
  • Up until now i was using Voicemeeter Standard in order to separate my PC main audio from the communication audio with just my on board sound card (Realtek). so when i stream the communication audio won't get captured. Pretty basic.
    My headset is connected on my on-board soundcard analogue with 3,5mm jack.
Soon i'll be adding an external USB audio interface with studio monitors . A MOTU M4.
Theoretically, i wouldn't need Voicemeeter anymore since the two audio streams, the communication one assigned to Realtek on-board (headset) and the general PC audio (MOTU M4), will be totally independent from each other.
The problem now is exactly that.
These two outputs are going to be totally separate compared to before.
So now whenever i want to hear the main PC audio (music, games etc.) on my headset like before i'd have to manually change and select the Realtek as the Default Device. It's going to be one or the other.

I do not wish to eliminate the onboard sound card and headset and buy a separate mic connected to the MOTU along with headphones and make it the main device.

Is there any way i could use Voicemeeter to resolve this?
Basically, for Voicemeeter to act as a virtual console that handles all that? From feeding the Default Device's (MOTU) audio output to the Communication Device (Realtek) so that the main PC audio will be streamed simultaneously to both interfaces with no need to manually change anything in the windows sound control panel?
Whenever i want to hear everything on my headset i would just have to mute MOTU's output (speakers) in Voicemeeter and hear everything on my headset and vice versa.
It's such a simple idea but i have no clue how to achieve this.
Would i need Voicemeeter standard, banana or something else?

I would deeply appreciate any help on this matter.
Attachments
WindowsSoundControlMicandOutput
WindowsSoundControlMicandOutput
WSCMicandOut.jpg (78.32 KiB) Viewed 5926 times
CurrentVoicemeeterSetup
CurrentVoicemeeterSetup
CurrentVoicemeeter.jpg (150.01 KiB) Viewed 5946 times
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: Help with USB Audio Interface - Onboard soundcard Setup

Post by Vincent Burel »

yes, typically if you add devices, you may need Voicemeeter more again because it will help you to manage your different sources and devices according different workflow.

In your case, you may use Voicemeeter Banana and get inspiration from our video tutorial: https://youtu.be/nIpt3jF0Nds
ElectricEye

Post by ElectricEye »

Hello Vincent,

thanks for the response. I've been watching a lot of video tutorials trying to familiarize myself with Voicemeeter.
From what i gather, i think Voicemeeter might not work? The external USB audio interface is going to use ASIO but the internal Realtek card WDM.
Would this cause conflicts between the two interfaces when i'll try to route the PC audio to both?

Also now with just the Realtek the windows volume is set at 100% and Voicemeeter acts as a pre.
With MOTU what would be the case? Should MOTU's volume be set at max as well and let Voicemeeter handle the volume levels?
Andres

Post by Andres »

ElectricEye wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:57 am Would this cause conflicts between the two interfaces when i'll try to route the PC audio to both?
Voicemeeter is designed to work with different interfaces (ASIO, WDM, KS or MME) for your hardware input and output devices. You can mix them and it should work without any issue.