Distorted sound after a while

VB-Cable A & B, HIFI-Cable, ASIO Bridge
Limeth

Distorted sound after a while

Post by Limeth »

Hello, I am trying to use the VB-Cables as part of my livestreaming setup. I decided to do all my audio processing in Ardour. I use 3 vb-cables in total:
  1. VB-Cable: To send the processed audio from Ardour to OBS
  2. VB-Cable A: To capture desktop audio and send it to Ardour
  3. VB-Cable B: To capture background music (specific applications) and send it to Ardour
I also use a UMC204HD audio interface for my XLR microphone and headphones.

I tried livestreaming with this setup and I encountered audio distortions maybe once every 20-30 minutes. They gradually fade in and out, over the course of about 2 minutes. I suspect that the issue may be the UMC204HD audio interface's clock being asynchronous with my PC's clock resulting in clock drift and causing distortions, but I'm not really sure, neither am I sure about how to troubleshoot this issue.

In order to access my UMC204HD audio interface along with the VB-Cables from Ardour, I am using the ASIO4ALL driver.

I made sure to set all my devices to use the 48 kHz sample rate, 24 bit format. Here's one such configuration of my microphone:
mic.PNG
mic.PNG (11.08 KiB) Viewed 15193 times
My ASIO4ALL configuration is as follows:
asio4all1.PNG
asio4all1.PNG (21.58 KiB) Viewed 15193 times
asio4all2.PNG
asio4all2.PNG (21.22 KiB) Viewed 15193 times
(continued in next post, because I can't embed any more images)
Limeth

Re: Distorted sound after a while

Post by Limeth »

My Ardour configuration is as follows:
ardour.PNG
ardour.PNG (24.14 KiB) Viewed 15192 times
All of my VB-Cables are configured the same way:
vbcable.jpg
vbcable.jpg (95.36 KiB) Viewed 15192 times
The buffer size is 2048, which is more than 3 times Ardour's buffer size (512), so I believe that should be fine.

Let me know whether there are any other details that you'd like me to share.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

you may simply reset the internal latency to default value (7168 samples) and see if it fixes the problem...
Limeth

Post by Limeth »

I have tried that, it did not help. The audio distortions I am experiencing sound different and are not always present as opposed to the distortions caused by the buffer being too short.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

so maybe the solution is in the ASIO4ALL settings ... i don't what you do, but maybe Voicemeeter Banana could be simpler than ASIO4ALL + 2x VB-CABLE...