Output delay

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
ESCPROBUS

Re: Output delay

Post by ESCPROBUS »

I understand that some latency occurs in the digital path (electrical engineer) but what I am getting is excessive. The audible delay between speaking into the mic and the sound from the speaker is very obvious and enough to make some users slur their speech (not to mention make it very annoying for all users).

I am out of town until Sunday, will try the reactivation of SWIFT MODE and INPUT EXCLUSIVE then. I have also arranged to borrow a high end wired USB mic to check if the wireless mics are causing the problem. The laptop is brand new and not running anything besides Banana, a Logitech pan and tilt camera and Zoom. Will try uninstalling the camera and Zoom to check any interference.

Will report back after that.

Is there a way to measure the latency on the laptop?
stoepie

Post by stoepie »

Good work!

To measure end to end latency, it would be best to connect a 2 channel oscilloscope. 1 channel to the analog input and one to the analog output. Then, trigger on the input so it triggers when you clap your hands, for instance. Try to get the timebase so you see the routed signal from the output on the same trigger event/screen, and you should be able to fairly accurately determine the input to output delay.

Keep us posted indeed, interesting usecase.
ESCPROBUS

Post by ESCPROBUS »

So I turned SWIFT MODE and INPUT EXCLUSIVE back on, no change.
Tried high end wired USB mic and XLR mic with USB interface, no significant change.
Reinstalled latest Realtek driver, no significant change.

Went through Windows 11 settings, made sure all set to 16 bit, 48kHz. Turned off Exclusive Mode and Signal Enhancements for all sound devices (some did have one or both of these turned on). This improved the latency somewhat but it is still noticeable.

Checked system settings and now A1 shows 1056 buffers although the setting is 256. Also IN1 buffers have jumped to 528. What is going on?
Banana2.jpg
Banana2.jpg (66.47 KiB) Viewed 2611 times
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

you buffer size is too high.
you may find a way to have a buffering around 256 samples on output A1 (giving the main stream).