Setting up a crossover to send bass only to a subwoofer?

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
exigeous

Setting up a crossover to send bass only to a subwoofer?

Post by exigeous »

I've created a small, homemade amplifier using a couple of circuit board based amps, powered by a 12v PSU to drive a pair of Dayton Audio tactile transducers. Everything is working but I'm getting full range audio out of the amp with the transducers attempting to play that audio (which obviously sounds terrible). I'd like to setup a software based crossover to only send bass/low frequencies to them. They are connected to a dedicated soundcard so there's no concerns there.

I tried to just turn down all the other frequencies in the EQ but that doesn't seem to be doing what i"m looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ANSWER
As I played with it enough to answer my own question I figured I'd leave the post in case anyone else is looking for this - one way to do this is to set the Mix to LFE Only (or Low Frequncy Effect) - however this will only send the LFE channel IF the media you're listening to has LFE data, if it's just a stereo source this would not work. In my case my source, iRacing (and other racing sims) does output an LFE channel so I'm good to go. If however you know of a way to do this without using LFE I'd still love to see that solution.

~Ross
ragnar.jensen

Re: Setting up a crossover to send bass only to a subwoofer?

Post by ragnar.jensen »

I had a quick play around with it. Setting all six bands in the EQ to low-pass filters at fairly low frequencies leaves only the lowest rumbling in the audio.

low-pass_filters_in_series.png
low-pass_filters_in_series.png (123.8 KiB) Viewed 2961 times
--
Ragnar