Latency

VB-Audio Matrix, Virtual Audio Router Application for Windows (Discussion and Support).
edm11

Latency

Post by edm11 »

First of all, congratulations and thank you for this app. Happy to donate to your cause!
I have installed Matrix on my Win 11 system, and I'm noticing some audible latency when routing between VASIO instances, which I use for multiple instances of Gig Performer in my live performance.
I have countered this added latency by lowering my buffer size, but of course this adds to CPU consumption.
I had previously been using ASIO Link Pro for multi-client ASIO for many years, and the latency there with this type of routing was imperceivable. It still functions well, but it is abandonware (and has been for some time now), and Matrix is far more modern and stable overall so I prefer using your product.
So, I'm wondering what the specs on the added latency are for routing between VASIO instances, and if there are any plans for improving this in the future.

Thanks in advance for any reply you can give, and keep up the good work!
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: Latency

Post by Vincent Burel »

Matrix Latency, some points to know:

1- The main latency is given by the Matrix main stream buffer size (given by the master device) - we recommend to use an ASIO device as master device with 256 smp (or 128 smp min) buffer size (44.1/48 kHz) - or the internal clock if you have no ASIO device.

2- The Virtual ASIO (all driven by the master device) is adding one buffer latency.

3- The Matrix Grid is adding nothing in term of latency but the routing path can generate bigger latency according what you do.

simple routing: Signal -> ASIO device input(1) -> Matrix -> VASIO output(2) -> DAW -> VASIO input(3) -> Matrix -> ASIO output Device(4) is generating 4x buffer latency.

If your routing is more complex, passing through different ASIO or DAW, the Latency can be much bigger of course.
edm11

Post by edm11 »

Thanks for the reply.
I was using my ASIO device (Steinberg UR816C) as the master, with a buffer of 128 @44.1kHz.
I was routing audio from a VASIO 8 to a VASIO64 and then to the ASIO out of the UR816C.
The latency is noticeable even with that simple routing, especially with a percussion instrument.
As I mentioned, there is no audible latency with ASIO Link Pro using the same type of routing, so I suspect there can be some improvement made in this area.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

This is certainly possible to improve the overall latency by a more "direct process" but this will be less reliable, less stable.
edm11

Post by edm11 »

Perhaps in the future you will include a "Live mode" or "Performance mode" for advanced users, with the understanding that it can make the system more fragile and/or less stable and is probably only useable with high end systems.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

ok, this is an idea, i note it!