Voicemeeter Banana works for me! But how?

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
jonl

Voicemeeter Banana works for me! But how?

Post by jonl »

Hi all. New to Voicemeeter and this forum. I have a Focusrite 2i4 (2nd gen) which is set up as follows:
USB attached to Windows 11 PC, using Cantabile Performer with various VST plugins

Outputs:
1+2 Balanced to external monitors
1+2 Unbalanced to line-in of hybrid digital piano (allowing internal amp/speaker sound to be blended with external monitors)
3+4 Unbalanced to line-in of stereo system (use Windows programs, like Foobar2000 to play music)

Originally, I was not able to get windows to recognize the 3+4 output so had to use 1+2 unbalanced for the stereo and 3+4 for the DP. However, the output was too hot for the DP line-in and could only be attenuated using 1+2. I came across Voicemeeter the other day and low and behold, Windows application output now magically goes out on 3+4! To do this, I had to enable the 'Stereo Repeat' button under HARDWARE OUT (set to Focusrite USB ASIO Speakers (2-Focusrite USB AUDIO). I didn't touch any of the other Banana defaults except to save my settings as an XML file, point to this file to get loaded on startup and automatically start Banana on Windows startup, via options.

Now, all output from either (or both) my digital piano plugins and Windows audio applications go to both 1+2 and 3+4. I can attenuate 1+2 using the master gain knob on the Focusrite, and full gain goes to my receiver from Focusrite 3+4. Perfect!

So what is this doing exactly? I'm not complaining because it works great, just want to understand the plumbing for future potential troubleshooting.

Bonus question: The Focusrite 2i4 works for me because I need one pair of balanced and two pairs of unbalanced output (with audio interfgace gain control on 1+2 as noted above), but it's old and out of support, though Focusrite ASIO driver updates are still being offered. I'm considering replacing it with either a MOTU4 or Steinberg UR24C. These both have the outputs I need, just can't decide which one I'd want. Can I assume that Voicemeeter could also be used to let Windows audio applications output on channels 3+4 as above, seeing how Windows doesn't seem to allow you to specify output channels the way you can with VST host software? BTW- I know I could use splitter cables on the 1+2 unbalanced outputs, but I'd rather not do this because I don't want the audio interface gain to attenuate the stereo line-in.