Bug; Sending a reverb return to an output channel nukes the channel, requiring an engine restart

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
Paul17041993

Bug; Sending a reverb return to an output channel nukes the channel, requiring an engine restart

Post by Paul17041993 »

If theres any attempt to use the reverb feature to any output channel, it immediately nukes the audio in that channel, completely blanking it with no sound whatsoever even after removing the mix, the mix must be removed and then the audio engine restarted again
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: Bug; Sending a reverb return to an output channel nukes the channel, requiring an engine restart

Post by Vincent Burel »

Could you please specify your voicemeeter version and post some screenshot to explain more precisely your problem?
Paul17041993

Re: Bug; Sending a reverb return to an output channel nukes the channel, requiring an engine restart

Post by Paul17041993 »

Version is 3.1.1.1

Example, main output A3 has a source sending audio and thus should normally have audio present, but with the reverb FX enabled and a return value set, the audio gets completely blanked, nothing at all is present and comes out, basically identical to being muted. Inversely, the audio is normal if theres a return value set but the FX is disabled (OFF), or if theres simply no mix value, the mix value can be *anything* as long as its not 0.
In addition I have further discovered that this nukes output channels pernamently if EQ is enabled, ie they stay completely empty after the FX is removed and turned off, BUT, either restarting the audio engine OR turning off EQ and back on again.
Either way the behavior seems like FX is sending FP NaN or INF values, which of course any mathematical operation with a NaN or INF returns a NaN or INF on the output, removing this input can return the mixing to normal but if EQ was to copy previous buffer values, in turn carrying the NaN ir INF, this makes sense as to how the buffer continues to remain broken until it too is reset. As to why FX is always outputting these values you'll have to look at what you changed in your code and verify any 3rd party libraries as this occurs without any particular FX configuration, including with bypass set.
Screenshot_13.png
Screenshot_13.png (117.87 KiB) Viewed 3930 times
Screenshot_14.png
Screenshot_14.png (124.21 KiB) Viewed 3930 times
Screenshot_15.png
Screenshot_15.png (111.1 KiB) Viewed 3930 times
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

ok, this is something i cannot reproduce and the reverb is not expected to generate FP NaN or INF values.

could you post a screenshot of the Reverb GUI ?
Paul17041993

Post by Paul17041993 »

its just at the default values currently, but nothing changes its behavior regardless, including bypass
Screenshot_16.png
Screenshot_16.png (141.99 KiB) Viewed 3882 times
Paul17041993

Post by Paul17041993 »

Interestingly, I still had some unused values set in the FX patch return settings, however after removing and re-adding these it restored the reverb FX to not returning NaN and INF values??
Since these two are not supposed to be related you might have to do some hard review of your code to ensure you dont have issues with stack overlap or buffer selection
Paul17041993

Post by Paul17041993 »

So I checked through the configuration file I'm using to check for any issues but for starters theres a huge number of formatting issues you'll need to address in your XML writing before anything particular in there can be addressed, theres huge numbers of missing line endings and tabs, duplicated names are also a concern since this justs adds unnecessary risks, I also strongly suggest adding an entry for which version of voicemeeter the file was saved with so you can switch between suitable config readers and format conversion.

Currently what can be seen in the config values are perfectly sane regarding FX patch and FX reverb, and re-saving to a new config file outputs an identical file.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

ok, could you send to me your settings file by e-mail:
https://vb-audio.com/Services/contact.htm

_lastsettings.xml in "My documents \ Voicemeeter" folder

We must find a way to reproduce it. if i can reproduce it , i can fix it.