Trouble with WDM Realtek digital output

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
CaptaPraelium

Re: Trouble with WDM output

Post by CaptaPraelium »

Vincent Burel wrote:Just a question, when using WDM Realtek optical device, does it change something if you set the Engine mode to SWIFT ?
For me it is the same on either setting.
tox

Post by tox »

It's the same on mine as well.
tox

Post by tox »

I''ve just tried to use Voicemeeter with my realtek digital output and I am still experiencing the same problem. Is this issue being looked in to at all?
CaptaPraelium

Re: Trouble with WDM Realtek digital output

Post by CaptaPraelium »

Please don't forget about us Vincent :)
Windows' audio sucks without voicemeeter :(
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

did you tried the last version 2.0.3.2 / 1.0.5.2 (given on our facebook/g+)
we have fixed different issues in WIN 8.1 and WIN10 regarding WDM management
maybe it has changed something on your problem ?
tox

Post by tox »

Hi Vincent,
I've just installed 2.0.3.2 and stuttering on the Realtek Digital Out when using WDM is still present.

EDIT: I've now updated to 2.0.3.3 and still have the stuttering as mentioned. :(
tox

Re: Trouble with WDM Realtek digital output when using Dolby Digital Live

Post by tox »

Vincent, I'd be happy to help you troubleshoot this issue if you like.
zapoqx

Post by zapoqx »

I wanted to chime in and say that even I too had the issue and that it seems to be the same. If I hook anything in the analog ports and test, its fine. If I use my monitor HDMI sound, its fine (though it doesn't have surround sound." With Optical, if I do any of the Stereo mode in the Realtek settings, its fine, but the moment that I put it in its 5.1 surround mode (I use DDL) and try it, I get the same stuttering sound. I also get the same default settings as shown on the first post.

After seeing the update, I went ahead and updated, but nothing seemed to fix. However, with this version, I noticed when I tried to force it to use the WDM, my CPU spiked massively. i5-4690 and it was hitting 35% avg while on that WDM mode. Switching it back to MME brought the CPU usage back down to normal (and of course sound being normal, albeit slight latency).
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

the problem seems to concern only this Realtek Optical output in multichannel mode and WDM interface...
we simply have to reproduce the problem here to correct it...
what is connected to your optical link : an AV-amplifier ?
zapoqx

Post by zapoqx »

Vincent Burel wrote:the problem seems to concern only this Realtek Optical output in multichannel mode and WDM interface...
we simply have to reproduce the problem here to correct it...
what is connected to your optical link : an AV-amplifier ?
Let me first say that I cannot vouch this for everyone elses setup to be the cause.

I know that normally, you need the link connected between the optical output and the receiver. In my case, I have a decoder box that hooks to my headset that has the drivers. They normally suggest if it can't receive the signal, to just hook into a receiver. For my setup, that is not the case. So What I did is I enabled a Realtek side-hack that force enables Dolby Digital Live (Box is supported for it) without requiring it connected to a receiver that it can detect can do it. From there, Its up to the box to decode it.

The box decodes it properly as I have tested several different ways to verify if this is true and compares properly with one method I tested that forces the sound to output without using a workaround. As I have no way to test outside of this box at this time, there is no other way I can verify except through a console with something that can send full signals out (which I don't know off the top of my head) and the light has to come on to be shown that it is enabled.

So with that, as I said, WDM via analog connection works. So I know its not technically an audio issue per say. Testing with Stereo only via the Optical, its fine. So Signal is working proper. The only other thing I can think of is that it has to do with something that Windows processes and is not allowing if its not something the Voicemeeter drivers can parse, but why it would make my CPU work in overtime leads me to believe its something in relation to the link between the signal and the driver output via WDM when it works fine in MME. I would prefer the WDM though for the lesser latency.