Microphone Noise in Voice Meeter

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
Brad1022

Microphone Noise in Voice Meeter

Post by Brad1022 »

I pretty much a newbie to this world.
Hooking up my microphone via USB and running through Voicemeeter. BIG FLOOR NOISE (VU meter almost a third lit, constantly). I can squelch it with the "Audibility" pot. But that's essentially a gate. And once my voice opens the gate. You can hear the floor noise as it fades to the point where it squelches it again
I have tried 2 different mics:
1) Shure SM57 with an XLY - USP cable.
A TKGOU - Standard USP web mic.
The problem is identical with both solutions.
I would LOVE any help!
RobBoss

Re: Microphone Noise in Voice Meeter

Post by RobBoss »

If you use Voicemeeter Banana or Voicemeeter Potato then there is a special option called PATCH INSERT to use FX plugins in an (VST) host application to process (enhance) the incoming audio of the Hardware input strips.
:arrow:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pDi0Tn2QxXE&t=312s

There are special VST plugins called "denoiser" to reduce noise.

Though normally the quality of the microphones you have mentioned should be sufficient with the gate option in Voicemeeter.

There are also many Youtube videos about how to optimize microphone input settings to reduce floor noise.
RobBoss

Re: Microphone Noise in Voice Meeter

Post by RobBoss »

To clarify some things about denoising:

From a professional audio engineering point of view denoising is a post-production tool.

Normally it is not used on-the-fly during the recording or other live broadcasting/streaming situations (only gating is used).

Using a high or at least good quality microphone (and a simple gate) noise floor should be irrelevant low.

That is the reason why denoising is normally a post-production utility only.
Most denoising plugins have a very high latency (a delay not useful for live dialogues = talking).

Because denoising uses technical (scientific) more complex processes than most other plugins, there is still no freeware denoising plugin available! (or anybody else knows one?)
Only freeware gate plugins exist (but that is not denoising processing in the true meaning of the word and technical a more simple task).

So, for denoising plugins you have to pay money.
But keep in mind that most of these denoising plugins have very high latency not suitable for live situations!

So if you really want to use a denoising plugin on-the-fly as an insert effect plugin, you have to check its processing latency before you buy anything to avoid wasting your money!

For example denoising plugins from companies like Waves, Sonnox Oxford or BIAS are known to have high latencies not suitable for live talking online scenarios.

Izotope has a special vocal denoiser plugin that has an appropriate low latency.
In 2015, I personally have used the Wave Arts Master Restoraion Bundle for live microphone enhancement, that uses almost Zero additional processing latency (you can set lookahead time = extra latency in its GUI).

Denoising plugins are expensive!

So, if you want to buy a denoising plugin then check especially their trial versions for latency besides other aspects of processing quality, before you actually buy anything.

Use Google or whatever search engine you prefer to find reviews and discussions about denoising plugins.

If you really want to use it on-the-fly for your microphone then most important is the latency.
So do not buy "the best Denoiser in the world" if it has a typical high latency!