Audio Choppy when using Virtual Cables

VB-Cable A & B, HIFI-Cable, ASIO Bridge
V1perN3st

Audio Choppy when using Virtual Cables

Post by V1perN3st »

I am using VoiceMeeter Potato and have Virtual Cable A, B, C, and D installed. My MIC Audio is routed through VoiceMeeter Potato and out to several outputs. Doing audio recording on Audacity any audio that is sent out VAIO3 is good, but any audio going out through the Virtual Cables is choppy.

I have uninstalled, restarted, installed the Virtual Cables, and restarted. This has not resolved the issue. Driver Checker reports no issues (see below).

------------------------------------------------------------------
CHECKING VB-Audio Virtual Cable : Not Installed
CHECKING VB-Audio Cable A (version 01000305)
CHECKING VB-Audio Cable B (version 01000305)
CHECKING VB-Audio Cable C (version 02010502)
CHECKING VB-Audio Cable D (version 02010502)
CHECKING VB-Audio MT128 Virtual I/O : Not Installed
CHECKING VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable : Not Installed
CHECKING VB-Audio VoiceMeeter VAIO (version 02010502)
CHECKING VB-Audio VoiceMeeter AUX VAIO (version 02010502)
CHECKING VB-Audio VoiceMeeter VAIO3 (version 02010502)
------------------------------------------------------------------
TEST DATE: 2021/10/10 - 19:22:24 (Checker Version 1.0.7.7)
Operating System: WIN 10 64Bits Build: 19043
CONCLUSION: OK (nothing bad detected)

Any thoughts on what the issue could be? My computer has been restarted and is fully up to date. As I mentioned, this is only an issue though the Virtual Cables. The Virtual Outputs from VoiceMeeter Potato work perfectly fine.
Andres

Re: Audio Choppy when using Virtual Cables

Post by Andres »

Hi. A general recommendation to avoid choppy audio is to select a physical device at Hardware Out A1 (like MME: Speakers or a headset); A1 is Voicemeeter main device so when possible use a physical device. You can also share a Voicemeeter **Menu > System Settings / Options...** window screenshot to take a look.
V1perN3st

Post by V1perN3st »

So, basically the Virtual Cables are not a good output for VoiceMeeter. Below is a screen shot of the data requested, the VoiceMeeter setup, and an Image showing the audio.
Potato Setup.PNG
Potato Setup.PNG (221.51 KiB) Viewed 32444 times
System Settings and Options.PNG
System Settings and Options.PNG (116.32 KiB) Viewed 32444 times
Here is an image of the audio. The first half is using the VoiceMeeter VAIO output into Audacity. The second half is through a Virtual Cable into Audacity.
Audacity.PNG
Audacity.PNG (23.29 KiB) Viewed 32444 times
The main reason I want to use the Virtual Cables for outputs is for recording. I can have the system audio going out one, my mic on another, music one another, and my Discord audio on one. If I have everything going through one output, then it makes it hard to adjust after the fact.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

you may try to set the related VB-CABLE in the same sample rate and internal latency (44100 Hz / 7168 sample) by the related VBCABLE_ControlPanel application (run it in administrator mode). to see if it solve your problem with Audacity.
V1perN3st

Post by V1perN3st »

Looking at the control panels, it looks like they are already set to the Max Latency (not sure if this is the Internal latency) of 7168 and the output Sample Rate is 44100 Hz.
Cable B.PNG
Cable B.PNG (241.87 KiB) Viewed 32432 times
Cable C.PNG
Cable C.PNG (223.89 KiB) Viewed 32432 times
Cable D.PNG
Cable D.PNG (228.79 KiB) Viewed 32432 times
The system only allows me to have 3 attachments and it was too big in size to upload one image of all 4 (it would have to be small to were you almost can't read it.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

The first virtual audio cable control panel shows and internal samplerate at 96 kHz, please set it to 44100 or 48000:

1- run the control panel in administrator mode
2- change the internal SR (by the menu).
3- Reboot.

Audacity can use big buffer and reducing the internal samplerate in the VB-CABLE naturally increase the internal buffer size:
7168 sample at 44.1 kHz pipe is storing more than 2 time more samples than in a 7168 sample at 96 kHz pipe.
V1perN3st

Post by V1perN3st »

I will say it isn't just Audacity I had the issue with. I stream as well and the audio was piped through the Virtual Cable to Twitch and the audio was choppy there as well (through OBS). My Mic was routed through Cable B to OBS, but it seemed like it was doing it on all of the Virtual Cables. I will make the adjustment and see if that resolves the issue. I will also test the other Virtual Cables to see if I have the issues with them or if it was just Virtual Cable B.
V1perN3st

Post by V1perN3st »

I did test with Virtual Cable C (which appears to be set at 48000 Hz, I have not tested 44100 Hz yet with it) and it is also being choppy with Audacity. I also noticed all of the outputs were choppy when I reviewed my Twitch recording (this was recorded by Twitch as I streamed).

I know OBS has a plug in to interface with VoiceMeeter directly, but the issue is when I try and capture the input side it is all pre-VoiceMeeter. Since it is recommended to use a hardware out over the Virtual Cables (which means I can't bring it into OBS without running it through an external DAC just to be brought back in), what would be the recommended way to get audio out of VoiceMeeter and into OBS (allowing me to have different channels for different things, like one for my mic, one for the system, one for external capture, and one for Discord audio for example)? I do use the built in Virtual Output ports for VoiceMeeter (which work great for recording and what not; would be nice to see more of those in the Potato version) for some of the items to OBS, but it is very limiting with only having 3 VAIO.
V1perN3st

Post by V1perN3st »

I have adjusted all of the Virtual Cables to 44100 Hz, it did not resolve the issue.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

you may try to use other audio interface to connect VB-CABLE to Voicemeeter (WDM, Ks or MME) and see if it changes something.
or try to install Last Voicemeeter version 3.0.2.0