VBAN high network usage

VB-Audio Network Protocol and applications
DirEkt

VBAN high network usage

Post by DirEkt »

I've recently started running into this strange issue where VoiceMeeter (with VBAN ON) can be seen using very high network load in the Windows 10 task manager. This seems to occur mostly when streaming videos in a web browser, but not otherwise (explanation below).

The setup: a laptop and a desktop both connected by ethernet cable to a router. The laptop is used to stream audio to the desktop. Both have W10 latest updates and VoiceMeeter.

Only the laptop is affected by this problem: Once VBAN is turned on with my current settings (Format: PCM 24 bits), I normally get around a constant 2.3 Mbits/s without errors on both sides. But if a video playback from a website like Youtube or Twitch is started, the usage becomes very unstable and goes way higher up to 10 Mbits/s on the laptop all while remaining at a normal 2.3 on the desktop. If the video is paused or closed, the usage falls back to normal 2.3 Mbits/s on the laptop. This can get so bad it seems to even affect the overall speed/connection quality of the desktop to the internet. Tested in latest Opera and Edge browsers, same result.

No problem/abnormal usage detected on the Soundcloud website (audio only) or while playing a local .mkv video file on the laptop.
No issues found on either machines when the roles of broadcaster/reciever were reversed, VoiceMeeter usage remains stable at 2.3 Mbits/s regardless of activity.

Other things I've tried: Resetting A1 Device, rebooting laptop and updating both machines to the VoiceMeeter NOV release did not help. Only major changes done recently are Windows and MS Store apps updates, unsure if linked. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: VBAN high network usage

Post by Vincent Burel »

well, i'm not sure i'm understanding the problem.
watching a video can require 10 mbps , this is not unusual... and i don't see the relationship with VBAN

you may describe more precisely the problem. where are you monitoring the network activity ?
DirEkt

Post by DirEkt »

In the Windows Task Manager.

The two following screens are from the laptop with only VBAN turned on, everything appears normal. No video streams are playing in Opera.
After some testing, the network activity of VoiceMeeter remains at this constant (as it should as far as I know) even if an audio only stream is opened in the browser or if a local .mkv video file is played as I've described in the first post.
Taskmgr_2021-11-27_08.41.27.png
Taskmgr_2021-11-27_08.41.27.png (71.07 KiB) Viewed 21215 times
Taskmgr_2021-11-27_09.08.58.png
Taskmgr_2021-11-27_09.08.58.png (40.45 KiB) Viewed 21215 times

The next two screens were taken when a video stream was being played in Opera on the laptop. The first highlights the issue, VoiceMeeter appears to go... well, bananas (pun intended sorry :lol: ). I've seen it peak as high as 30 Mbits/s earlier this week.
Taskmgr_2021-11-27_08.49.04.png
Taskmgr_2021-11-27_08.49.04.png (76.34 KiB) Viewed 21215 times
DirEkt

Post by DirEkt »

The second is even more confusing as it only shows normal download/upload activity with video stream open in this tab. But I know something is wrong as in this state, it even affects the "ping" of the desktop to the network/internet but was unable to see anything unusual in the desktop's Task Manager, only recieving a stable 2.3 Mbits/s.
Taskmgr_2021-11-27_09.03.10.png
Taskmgr_2021-11-27_09.03.10.png (59.95 KiB) Viewed 21215 times
Edited: I should maybe add that the internet connection has 100/100 Mbit/s download/upload.