Proper downmixing 7.1 to 2.0?

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
Sephiroth

Proper downmixing 7.1 to 2.0?

Post by Sephiroth »

I've used Banana in the past and have purchased your cables (A and B) to setup to do basic recording and it has worked wonderfully. As such, I just built a new rig and am considering Potato for the extra inputs now that I know how things work. I am considering this for more possibilities in recording.

With that said, I have a 7.1 soundcard (hardware, not virtual) coupled to a Razer Tiamat 7.1 v2 headset. The control unit also goes to an actual 7.1 speaker setup. I can switch between headset and speakers with the push of a button on the Tiamat control.

When I record my gameplay or desktop tasks I want one of the virtual outputs to be flattened to 2.0 or at least 2.1 an d I thought that downmix A or B would do this, but when selecting the downmix output for recording on VAIO3 and then selecting VAIO3 for audio input in OBS Studio, I get no audio. I can see the meter moving in Potato for VAIO3, so I am not sure why OBS gets nothing.

OBS Studio has "Mic/Auxiliary Audio 2" set to "VoiceMeeter VAIO3 Output (VB-Audio VoiceMeeter VAIO3)". In Potato I have the right-most virtual audio set to "downmix B". I am assuming, from left to right, we have VAIO1, VAIO2, and VAIO3. I intend to use VAIO3 exclusively for downmixing 7.1 content if this is possible.

I also had a few basic questions about licensing. Once we get this sorted and I know it works I will be purchasing a Potato license. If I upgrade my soundcard in the future will I lose the license, or is it bound to the CPU/Motherboard? I cannot upgrade my CPU any higher on this setup, I already run an i9-11900k and would need a new board to use 12th gen CPUs, so the board and CPU are here for good.

Having purchased the audio cables a year or so back, are there any updates and if so, am I legally able to download them? I do not have a problem with them and they work fine, it's just something that crossed my mind. I may also be purchasing cables C and D once the above issue is settled so I have more flexibility in the future.

Thank you for your time.

*EDIT*

What is the difference between downmix A and B? I prefer quality here.