replacement for ASIO Link Pro

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
MrGr

replacement for ASIO Link Pro

Post by MrGr »

The author of ASIO Link Pro died some years ago and the project seems dead. The software currently works and I need it for ASIO port sharing. It's essentially Voicemeeter+Routing. I would like Voicemeeter as a maintained alternative for the future. However, the current support for low latency just isn't there. My system works perfectly fine with 32 samples buffer size. Voicemeeter cannot even handle 128 samples if used as a virtual ASIO device (sound "static"). It tends to work a little better when run with admin privileges, however ASIO Link Pro doesn't need that at all. Would be nice if you could grab a copy of ASIO Link Pro and bring Voicemeeter on par. TY!
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: replacement for ASIO Link Pro

Post by Vincent Burel »

we have a project of big matrix since a long time to interconnect several ASIO driver, Windows Driver Virtual drivers...
will see if I can find a slot in our planning this year to make a first version...
MrGr

Post by MrGr »

that'd be great.
DOCa Cola

Post by DOCa Cola »

Asio link pro is a great piece of software. I think what comes way closer to a matrix based Voicemeeter and in some regard covers most features that ASIO Link Pro offers is R3lay VirtualPatchBay.

From the feature set it is more or less what an matrix based unlimited Voicemeeter would be. It can support any number of KS, WASAPI and ASIO devices. It has a number of (Stereo only) virtual WDM devices. It supports network streams similar to VBAN (although via AES67). Also DAWs can use a virtual ASIO client driver to connect directly to it as well.

All of these devices, network streams, virtual WDM devices, DAWs and even VST plugins appear as individual endpoints in the matrix and you can route audio arbitrarily between any of their in- and output channels.
It is quite a powerful tool and probably unobtainable by us mortals. Their target customers are broadcasting companies and this piece of software is only one little cog in a whole suite of hardware and software they offer.

There is a trial version that can be downloaded though. It has a time limit of 15 minutes (and then has to be restarted), so i had a little play around with it.
As their backend they use pulseaudio. Compared to Voicemeeter it had way more issues with audio devices. I would throw some errors with some of my ASIO devices and a few WDM devices always had severe crackling, wouldn't work at all or would get lost after a few minutes. All of which work fine with Voicemeeter by the way.
Between any two endpoinds there is a buffer that the software automatically determines in samples, which can also be overridden manually. I couldn't really achieve low latencies without running into various audio issues. With Voicemeeter in that regard i also could achieve (measured) way lower latencies.

From the feature set and GUI it is probably very close what i imagine a matrix based Voicemeeter could work like.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

Yes, I know a bit Lawo stuff, i've participated to the spec of this audio engine in 2010
But all this matrix concepts are well-known since a long time because basically
these are the core competency of a digital mixing console.

Anyway our goal is always to make virtual mixing console :-) And doing a matrix is a good starting point to make new range of mixing console.
also Voicemeeter will be able to connect to this matrix or by it's output A1 connected to a Virtual ASIO driver of the Matrix... or by its virtual ASIO driver connected to a physical ASIO device of the Matrix.

i'm on it !