Potato mirrors two input channels to matching output channels

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
dlundqvist

Potato mirrors two input channels to matching output channels

Post by dlundqvist »

Hi,

This is kind of a weird problem. Not sure it's Potato's fault though, but the problem goes away when I stop Potato. I recently got a MOTU UltraLite-mk5 interface, which have 22 channels out and 20 channels in. S/PDIF input is internally routed to USB input channels 11 and 12. All audio coming in to those two USB channels are mirrored out to USB output channels 11 and 12. This only happens for input channel 11 and 12, no others as far as I have been able to reproduce. If I adjust buffer size I can hear the delay, so it's definitely something mirroring the audio.

This happens with Potato 3.0.2.2 (64bits) where A1 is using ASIO towards the UltraLite-mk5. Resetting configuration does not help. And I cannot see anything in the settings that will cause this.

Hardware channel listing:

Code: Select all

Input Channel List	Output Channel List
 1. Mic/Line/Inst In 1	 1. Main Out 1
 2. Mic/Line/Inst In 2	 2. Main Out 2
 3. Line In 3		 3. Line Out 3
 4 .Line In 4		 4. Line Out 4
 5. Line In 5		 5. Line Out 5
 6. Line In 6		 6. Line Out 6
 7. Line In 7		 7. Line Out 7
 8. Line In 8		 8. Line Out 8
 9. Loopback In 1	 9. Line Out 9
10. Loopback In 2	10. Line Out 10
11. S/PDIF In 1		11. Phones Out 1
12. S/PDIF In 2		12. Phones Out 2
13. Optical In 1	13. S/PDIF Out 1
14. Optical In 2	14. S/PDIF Out 2
15. Optical In 3	15. Optical Out 1
16. Optical In 4	16. Optical Out 2
17. Optical In 5	17. Optical Out 3
18. Optical In 6	18. Optical Out 4
19. Optical In 7	19. Optical Out 5
20. Optical In 8	20. Optical Out 6
			21. Optical Out 7
			22. Optical Out 8
Last edited by dlundqvist on Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dlundqvist

Re: Potato mirrors two input channels to matching output channels

Post by dlundqvist »

Actually, it seems to happen for all channels above eight. Getting input on 9-10 (Loopback In) mirrors to 9-10 (Line Out 9-10), etc. Is this intended behavior?
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

could you post a screenshot of your Voicemeeter System Settings dialog box to better understand your case?
dlundqvist

Post by dlundqvist »

Sure.

Main window:
potato-main-window.png
potato-main-window.png (184.46 KiB) Viewed 3696 times
Settings window:
potato-settings-window.png
potato-settings-window.png (112.9 KiB) Viewed 3696 times
As you can see I have configured hardware input 5 to input channels 9 and 10. Those are called Loopback In 1 and 2. They are used to send a configured source from the device back to the computer. Any input on those channels, Voicemeeter will mirror back to output channels 9 and 10. The mirroring happens regardless whether the channels are configured for a hardware input or not.

I captured from CueMix 5 (tool to configure UltraLite mk5 and monitor levels):
https://www.malarhojden.nu/voicemeeter/ ... mirror.gif

What is called "Computer USB Line 9-10" corresponds to output channels 9 and 10. To the far right you can see the mix, it's called "Phones 1-2". That mix is configured to be looped to input channels 9 and 10. In the beginning of the capture Voicemeeter Potato is not running, and you can see that nothing is comes in on channels 9 and 10. As soon as I start Potato and it has started the audio engine the input channels 9 and 10 is mirrored to output channels 9 and 10. After a short while I stop Potato, and the mirrored output stops.

What happens for channels 9 and 10 happens for all channels above 8. I can easily replicate the behavior up to channel 20.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

ok, so if I understand well, you have an ASIO device with 20 inputs and 22 outputs.:

8 first outputs are used by the Voicemeeter BUS A1.
you have patched your 10 first ASIO input channel into the 5 Voicemeeter Hardware Input strip, (but are sent nowhere - not used by Voicemeeter).

and you say that Voicemeeter is sending one by one, ASIO input channels 9 to 20 to ASIO output Channel 9 to 20? right?
(like a passing through process or if there was a 1:1 matrix - for example for monitoring).

Please confirm.
dlundqvist

Post by dlundqvist »

Correct, that is what seems to happen. I can't rule out the something else than Voicemeeter is causing this but it only happens when Voicemeeter is running. Patching the inputs has no effect on this issue.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

ok, right, this is confirmed, ASIO output channels not used by Voicemeeter were forwarding related ASIO input channel.
i will correct this in the next coming version.