VoiceMeeter Potato stuttering & crashing

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
Manuel1981

VoiceMeeter Potato stuttering & crashing

Post by Manuel1981 »

Hello,

I'm Radio Amateur and do remote operation most of the time. So I set up a Raspberry 4 (installed vban), connected it to the audio IN and audio OUT of my Radio station to stream audio from the Radio station to my Laptop AND from my laptop to my radio station. The Raspberry and the Laptop are connected by 1 Gbit LAN but sometiemes I also use my Laptop in the garden (WIFI) or via VPN. Normally that solution works great....

But often the sound is stuttering and after a while the sound is completely gone. First I thought it's a transmission problem but now I think it's a problem with VoiceMeeter (or/and Windows?) because it happens also when I listen to music. Even System Sounds like notifications are stuttering sometimes... And then (sometimes, not alwas) the sound is gone completely. When I restart the audio engine (Menu => Restart Audio Engine) the sound comes back and everything works normal again. Yesterday I had to restart the audio engine every 10 - 15 minutes.

My Laptop is a Thinkpad T490 (I7, 40 GB RAM, Nvidia MX250, 1 TB SSD, Windows 11) with VoiceMeeter Potato installed.

I tried the following:
I opened the 32 bit version of Voice Meeter potato (same behavior)
I checked the task manager for high cpu loads and indeed the load was sometimes ~30% (but I'm not sure if that cause the problem)

As far as I remember it worked better on Windows 10 but sometimes I even on Win 10 I had a stuttering sound sometimes (but still thought of a transmission problem)... Maybe I just didn't notice the problem correctly.

Anyone here who can help me to fix the problem?

Best regards

Manuel
stoepie

Re: VoiceMeeter Potato stuttering & crashing

Post by stoepie »

VBAN streams use UDP, which has no protection against packet loss like TCP. If the WiFi in your area is 'busy' you are bound to have packet loss which isn't recovered, and could lead to issues like you describe.

Did you try configuring the VBAN receiver to "VERY SLOW" under Net Quality for the corresponding VBAN receiver? Does that help in recovering the stream when it breaks?

When you ping (also uses UDP) your receiver, from your laptop, when on wifi, do you see packet loss? (ie 'request timed out')

Should you see 'general failure', or 'Destination host unreachable', your (WiFi) network is down.

ping ipaddress -t

-t makes it continuous. Let it run in a command window and check it's status when you have your VBAN issues.

I'm sure adding some screen shots of your config will help, as well making sure you're on the latest version(s).

-David
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: VoiceMeeter Potato stuttering & crashing

Post by Vincent Burel »

could you post screenshot and let us know your voicemeeter version. then explain the problem simply in relation with VBAN Dialog box screenshot.