How can use one microphone to remove the background noise taken by another one in real time?

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
skan

How can use one microphone to remove the background noise taken by another one in real time?

Post by skan »

Hello.

Say I have two USB microphones:
  • A good quality shotgun mic which will be used as the main audio source, pointing towards the speaker. But this mic doesn't have noise cancellation.
  • A cheaper microphone which will be pointing in the opposite direction to capture background noise.
I would like to substract one signal from the other, in real time, and use the subsequent output for streaming.

How can do it with VB Audio Cable or Voicemeeter? (or using it together with other tools such as OBS).

The problem is I have noisy neighbors, they play music aloud, shout...
I'm just a tenant, and for work reasons I move quite often. I can't invest in isolation in a house that is not mine.
stoepie

Re: How can use one microphone to remove the background noise taken by another one in real time?

Post by stoepie »

Simply put, you can't. It's not that simple.

If amplitude, phase and frequency response are not an exact match, this doesn't work. It's not impossible but takes some hefty processing and special software.

There are directional microphones that may work for you. The more expensive the better (rule of thumb).

Or move house even more often...