Full-range speakers for VoiceMeeter outputs

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
Rangoon

Full-range speakers for VoiceMeeter outputs

Post by Rangoon »

I have a soundcard for headphones and HDMI output for AVR/7.1 speakers. I have the soundcard set for 7.1 and full-range speakers. I have the HDMI output set withOUT full-range speakers. So should I set the VoiceMeeter outputs to be 7.1 full-range so that they allow everything through? I assume so, so that the hardware is then handling cross-over appropriately. But it makes me curious if that's correct. What do Windows and VoiceMeeter do with these situations within the software?
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: Full-range speakers for VoiceMeeter outputs

Post by Vincent Burel »

per default Voicemeeter does nothing special on signal (transparent processing).
When receiving 7.1 sound, Voicemeeter is just forwarding it to the assigned output BUS, AS IS.
Rangoon

Post by Rangoon »

Thanks. So just to be clear, you're saying it makes no difference whether the VoiceMeeter devices are set to full-range or not?
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

well, i'm not sure to understand your question.
but all channel are expected to by full-range per default, except if you use Equalizer.
Rangoon

Post by Rangoon »

I have three physical output devices on my PC. One is a sound card going to transducers, so I set that to full-range in the Windows sound options. The second is a sound card going to headphones, so I set that to full-range. The third is a GPU HDMI output going to an AVR with 7.1 speakers, so I don't set that to full-range, since I use a subwoofer. However, they can all be using any of the VoiceMeeter channels, so I'm wondering if it's safe to set those to full-range (no cross-over I guess?) or if that would cancel out the cross-over on the HDMI output. Sorry if I'm not asking/explaining that very well.
Attachments
fullrange.jpg
fullrange.jpg (99.66 KiB) Viewed 2966 times
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

basically, if you need to apply equalization to your 7.1 speakers , you simply can use the Master EQ.
it's a 8 channel (independent) 6 band Full parametric Equalizer , that will let you adjust the sound of each channel as you want.

for example use one or more HPF filter to remove bass on desired speakers (channel):

VoicemeeterMasterEQ_HPF.jpg
VoicemeeterMasterEQ_HPF.jpg (131.29 KiB) Viewed 2962 times
Rangoon

Post by Rangoon »

Okay, thanks. I'll assume full-range is correct then. I appreciate the explanation about the EQ, though my question really doesn't have anything to do with applying an EQ. I probably didn't communicate it very well. I just want to make sure that Windows or anything else "behind the scenes" is NOT changing the audio signal OTHER THAN whatever I'm doing in VoiceMeeter (be that with or without EQ, etc.).