Why doesn't VoiceMeeter Banana have Rear channels in 5.1?

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
Snacko

Why doesn't VoiceMeeter Banana have Rear channels in 5.1?

Post by Snacko »

Ok, I wrote this entire post, and then solved my problem. So don't read the rest if you don't want to. But I still have a question...

I have a SB Audigy FX 5.1 soundcard used for some shakers on my sim rig. That card specs show Front L/R, Rear L/R, Center/Bass as outputs. Also, the software that I sends shaking sounds outputs as Front L/R and Rear L/R outputs. But why doesn't VMB have Rear L/R channels for 5.1??? When my card clearly shows it has Rear for 5.1?

I had to set up VMB as 7.1 to get any Rear channels. And then I disabled(unchecked) the Side, Center, and Bass channels. Since I have a 5.1 card and am working with Front and Rear channels I didn't even try to use the 7.1 until tonight. So this has been frustrating me for months and I gave up until today and decide to post this message below for some help.

Thanks,
Snacko
I have a Race Sim setup and have software that sends audio signals to VMB, and output to my Soundblaster Audigy fX soundcard, to my amps, and to my shakers on my chair. I have Front & Rear, Left & Right channels.

The problem is that for some reason, VMB sees the Rear channels as one input from this software that I use(SimVibe).

If I assign a different output(not VMB) to the software, the rear channel is not merged. It appears that only when this software sends output into VMB that it get's merged as it comes into VMB.

When I direclty assign the speaker soundcard as the output of the software, the rear channels are not merged.
When I directly assign the shaker soundcard as the output of the software, the rear channels are not merged.
But then when I assign the VoiceMeter Banana as the output of the software, the rear channels ARE merged!
Please see this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HvTzoZ1Ejk

When I go to Windows 10 Speaker Playback Properties and test the soundcard channels, I can click on each speaker and each channel works fine.

And for some reason, VMB does not have Rear speakers. It only has Side speakers. I am pretty sure that this SimVibe software is outputting Rear L/R channels. So why doesn't VMB have Rear channels??? My SB Audigy is 5.1 and has Rear(not Side) channels. The only way I see to get Rear speakers is to Configure VMB as either Quadraphonic or 7.1 speakers.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled VBM, and Reset all of it's settings to the defaults. Nothing helps.

Any help is appreciated. This has been driving me nuts for months.. :roll:

Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: Why doesn't VoiceMeeter Banana have Rear channels in 5.1?

Post by Vincent Burel »

we normally followed the 5.1 default topology given by Microsoft... possibly defined to be cross compatible with 7.1 setup...
well, anyway , we note the problem and will try to fix it in possible new update...
Yaun

Post by Yaun »

Hi, same here. Any news about a fix?
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

what about configuring it in 7.1 and unselect REAR speakers ?
Yaun

Post by Yaun »

Because they're still "available".

While playing Testtone
sound2.jpg
sound2.jpg (35.84 KiB) Viewed 19187 times
While running a game
Sound1.jpg
Sound1.jpg (16.5 KiB) Viewed 19187 times
Running game, set VB-Audio VAIO to 5.1
sound3.jpg
sound3.jpg (17.14 KiB) Viewed 19187 times

When I set to 5.1 it seems the audio is played by the correct speakers (BR, BL). I think it's only shown the wrong way in Windows Sound.