No audio output after each laptop reboot

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
Boffin

No audio output after each laptop reboot

Post by Boffin »

First of all, let me say that I am extremely pleased with Voicemeeter!

But... I have a problem: every time I restart/reboot my laptop [Win10, docking station], Voicemeeter starts up automatically without any issues, but I do not get any audio out of the speakers attached to my docking station. I then have to spend 5-10 minutes repeatedly reloading my settings, restarting the audio engine, and changing back & forth many times between the various "Speakers" options and "Voicemeeter Input" in the Win10 "Sound Control Panel" settings.

Then, all of sudden, the Voicemeeter audio output starts to work - with my standard Voicemeeter config settings - and works flawlessly from then on!

Any ideas how to fix this, or what to try to identify the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Fred
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: No audio output after each laptop reboot

Post by Vincent Burel »

this can happn if your device are not ready... Restarting audio engine should be enough...

You may check your device selected for output A1 is working ok on Windows Startup.
Boffin

Post by Boffin »

Well, just (repeatedly) restarting the audio engine does not help...

As noted in my problem description, I am using my laptop in a docking station, with the loudspeakers plugged into that docking station. In the "playback" tab of the Windows 10 "sound control panel" I can see that Win10 detects (dis)connecting those speakers.

Anyway, since I am not getting closer to an explanation/solution, I am now plugging the speakers into the laptop itself, instead of into the docking station. In this configuration, Voicemeeter works fine after restart/reboot of the laptop. It is just a bit of a hassle having to unplug the speakers when I undock the laptop, and plug them back into the laptop when I dock the laptop.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

Maybe it's a question for Microsoft.

We have many request to manage USB reconnections and also HDMI TV on/off...
but on our level we don't see how the device is connected, with a network adapter or PCIe or thunderbolt, Audio API does not give any information about this... all these aspects should be managed by the operating system...
Paul17041993

Post by Paul17041993 »

Vincent Burel wrote:Maybe it's a question for Microsoft.

We have many request to manage USB reconnections and also HDMI TV on/off...
but on our level we don't see how the device is connected, with a network adapter or PCIe or thunderbolt, Audio API does not give any information about this... all these aspects should be managed by the operating system...
You're using the appropriate WASAPI events right? any form of audio device change should fire there, otherwise windows audio in general wouldn't be working properly (sometimes the case with a driver bug with that particular device).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... am-routing
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

I will take a look on this, but we already know that IAudioSession stuff is bugged (since we use it in our virtual strip to show connected app to our virtual devices) - this crap makes me lose a month to implement and it's not working 100%.

... and audio device reconnection/re-activation is not possible to detect apparently...