renaming input / outputs does not work

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
wizzard102

renaming input / outputs does not work

Post by wizzard102 »

i have Voicemeeter Potato version 3.0.0.8 and all the VB cables purchased. Voicemeeter Potato and Cables C and D after a windows restart of the system rename them selves in the sound control panel back to there original names.

I would like to have this fixed so it does not do that. Cable A and B hold their names and the previous version of Potato did keep renamed input / outputs just fine

i am using window 7 pro version with all the windows updates install to current date of posting this

alot of software i am using the long names within the programs show up as Voicemeeter ...... inside the programs this makes it very difficult to select an input or output

Playback Control Panel
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au4R3_gciNUYkGX5kZ88gVqE91LB

Record Control Panel
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au4R3_gciNUYkGQPipBEVTAC4tai

I love the software and continue to use it everything else works wonderful for me.
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: renaming input / outputs does not work

Post by Vincent Burel »

you may ask to others to just give more place to the device name in their selector.

WIN10 obliged us to hardcode the pin name and icon inside the driver initialization process, because WIN10 update was generating too much issues.
also with all these virtual I/O, user can define redundant name that can bring complete mess in audio device management... and again generate new issues...
rodloblaw

Post by rodloblaw »

Sounds Like the prviouse poster answering you question is saying what I discovered through an Email from Support months ago. You can only change the name of the VAIO, AUX and VAIO 3 input or output thorugh the registry. It works its a pain in the ass and when another update gets pushed out you have to do it all over again. I just remember VIAO AUX and VIOA3 and I never get lost when routing stuff. Luckily, for now, you can rename the cables and they stick for the most part.
wizzard102

Post by wizzard102 »

how would i go about changing them within the reg
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

you cannot rename Voicemeeter VAIO's and VB-CABLE C+D inputs or outputs .
Audio pin name and icon are hardcoded in the audio driver and reseted on windows startup.
wizzard102

Post by wizzard102 »

so why are you using Voicemeeter VAIO output Name when on the mixer the output name is B1 would that make more sense to make the VAIO the name of what it is on the mixer itself and the Input / Output names are all backwards in the hardcoding name in my opinion.

Me personally prefer

playback stack
V1 Voicemeeter VAIO Output
V2 Voicemeeter Aux Output
V3 VAIO 3 Output

record stack
B1 Voicemeeter VAIO Input
B2 Voicemeeter Aux Input
B3 VAIO 3 Input