Feature Request: POST-FX and POST-Insert option for PATCH COMPOSITE

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
RobBoss

Feature Request: POST-FX and POST-Insert option for PATCH COMPOSITE

Post by RobBoss »

It does not make much sense that you can record the VM INTELLI FX and fader gain (for a hardware input) in your DAW if you do not use PATCH COMPOSITE, but if you use it the DAW can only record the "naked" pre-fader signal.
Voicemeeter already has massive expert options inside its system settings and in my opinion PATCH COMPOSITE mode would benefit massively from additional POST-FX and POST-Insert options (similar to the PATCH INSERT pre/post-fx switch).

If there were multiple PATCH COMPOSITE slots, then it would even be possible to configure every output bus with individual channel configurations.
In combination with the ASIO Insert drivers using DAWs with up to 34 (Potato) or 22 (Banana) VM I/Os it would give ultimate channel routing flexibility!
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request: POST-FX and POST-Insert option for PATCH COMPOSITE

Post by Vincent Burel »

yes, you are right!

that's why this option exists! beside the PATCH COMPOSITE title, there is this label
"Select PRE-Fader inputs used by composite mode"...

just click on it to change it into
"Select POST-Fader inputs used by Composite mode"...

I note your idea about multiple COMPOSITE MODE...
RobBoss

Re: Feature Request: POST-FX and POST-Insert option for PATCH COMPOSITE

Post by RobBoss »

I have finally returned from my 2020 Easter Egg Expedition.

Identifying that pre-/post switch in the system GUI is like discovering a perfectly hidden easter egg.

Sorry.
We are learning again:
If you have a problem with a software or miss a special feature
->
Step 1
Read the manual (again)!

Searching for the Banana manual, I have found multiple revisions of it on my disk.
Ironically in older manual versions is a short but clear sentence that more or less exactly use your words here (including a hint to click on it for changing pre/post position) .
But in later manual revisions you have replaced
it with a longer, but more cryptic text ("select post- or pre-fader" but no longer how to do it).
So seriously, this is possibly one of the best hidden switches of Voicemeeter.

Most parts of Voicemeeters GUI options are very intuitive and obviously even without a need to read the manual.

But identifying this switch in the GUI is like finding an Easter egg that some people may find, if they have the luck that they left-click randomly while the mouse cursor is hovering over this GUI area.
I would start a poll in this forum (if that is possible?), where (long-time) users can vote if they were aware that there is this pre/post clicking option inside the system settings GUI?

I know it is a golden rule for software development to change a GUI structure only if it is absolutely necessary (to avoid extra confusion for the users).

But maybe it could help if the text segment "post/pre" would have the same light blue colour like the PATCH-INSERT pre/post fx switch?
Adding extra borders?
To make it happen that even lazy people like me, that do not read the manual (in this case preferably older editions of it) regularly, may be able to figure out that this is actually a clickable switch?
So maybe, this thread that was based on a wrong guess, could help other users too and give them an heureka moment when the read your words!?
Anyway.

Additional multiple PATCH COMPOSITE slots would only add one extra line in the GUI (plus higher pixel height size) per extra slot.
But how many?
Not seriously for every of the 8 Potato busses?
From a realistic point of real world usage scenarios:
In my opinion 3 or maximal 4 slots would be enough.
Maybe Banana gets 2 and Potato 3 in similiarity to the numbers of virtual busses?
Or Potato 5 and Banana 3 based on existing hardware busses?

How much extra work would it mean for VB Audio to implement it?

I have some other ideas for the INTELLIPAN FX Panel and the Bus EQ, based on my usage, but I do not want to waste your time.
Or do I hesitate, because I fear that I have overlooked again another already existing "hidden setting"?

Attached a system settings GUI mod idea for PATCH COMPOSITE.
Attachments
Something like that?
Something like that?
PATCH COMPOSITE mod.png (15.31 KiB) Viewed 4494 times