I wanted to update this since I know before the creator's update, I was one of the ones with the issue as well.
I saw (albeit a little late) that a cumulative update was released a couple of days ago. This update had one thing specific:
Addressed issue where, after installing the Creators Update, audio output through external decoders no longer works.
So I installed it today. Now Mind you, I do the method of the hacked realtek drivers so that it works with my decoder box. Upon doing so, I found that 2 things:
- I was able to get sound to work in 5.1 over Optical.
- I was about to jump for joy thinking that this resolved using WDM.... UNFORTUNATELY, it seems when its on WDM, my box decoder doesn't switch to DDL Format. If I switched to MME, it does switch to DDL format, yet going back to WDM, it switches back to standard. Meanwhile, if I do go through WDM, while my realtek format setting doesn't change, it is playing the 5.1 test sound in Stereo mode to my headset.
Though for me using the hacked drivers, I may end up updating to see if that fixes it (MAYBE
) and allow me to use WDM. I'll attempt to keep up-to-date on my findings. So there is progress and back to testing the issues at hand.