nanoKONTROL2, MIDI mapping and feedback

The Virtual Audio Mixer discussions and support...
VRPX

nanoKONTROL2, MIDI mapping and feedback

Post by VRPX »

Hello everyone,

before the the new midi feedback functionality was added I used Macro Buttons to switch the lightning state of the buttons on my Korg nanoKONTROL2, which worked fine, although a hassle to set it up. Sadly I was not able to get the current state of 'solo' or 'mute'. So of course I was delighted about the added functionality in VoiceMeeter:
4- MIDI mapping: a MIDI output device can be defined to send feedback to the Input MIDI device (‘F’ button activate the feedback process for each control ‘FF’ for double feedback).
So I uninstalled my previous VM installation before installing version 3.0.1.6.

Cleared all Macro Buttons mappings that I set up so it doesn't intervene with the MIDI feedback.

Set up Mappings in VoiceMeeter like so:

It worked out of the box! For that session, at least.

The next day I was still able to control VM with my nanoKONTROL2 as expected, but lightning doesn't lit up anymore - no matter if I set 'F' or 'FF' in the MIDI mapping settings.

Is there a way to fix this?
VM Potato | Shure SM7B | dbx 286s | Yamaha AG06 | Korg nanoKONTROL2
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Re: nanoKONTROL2, MIDI mapping and feedback

Post by Vincent Burel »

on my nanoKontrol 2 controller i've never been able to switch on any buttons
even if using MIDI implementation given by Korg with a special MIDI application:
https://www.korg.com/us/support/downloa ... /159/2710/

Maybe this is pending on something or version or USB power or i don't know...
VRPX

Post by VRPX »

It worked just fine with Macro Buttons.

It's important that you set the Control Mode and LED Mode of your device accordingly.

For that you want to download the nanoKONTROL/KORG USB-MIDI Driver (for Windows 10).
- Keep the device connected. Restart. After the restart, specific nanoKontrol Drivers will be installed. Restart again.
- grab the nanoKONTROL2/KORG KONTROL Editor. Your device should be detected automatically.
- Select 'Communication' -> 'Receive Scene Data'.
- Then click on the top left square on the device.

Control Mode should be: CC
LED Mode should be: External

- Make sure to select 'Communication' -> 'Write Scene Data' so save these settings on the device.

Fun fact:
After installing said USB-MIDI Driver (for Windows 10) it seems that the buttons light up accordingly now. Also my device doesn't show up as nanoKONTROL2, but nanoKONTROL2 1 SLIDER/KNOB and nanoKONTROL2 1 CTRL in VoiceMeeter:

I will keep an eye out if this persists after a reboot.
VM Potato | Shure SM7B | dbx 286s | Yamaha AG06 | Korg nanoKONTROL2
Vincent Burel
Site Admin

Post by Vincent Burel »

maybe there is a conflict with MacroButton if using the same MIDI output device.
normally an output device can be used by a single application...

will check this Korg app soon.
Emerick_H

Post by Emerick_H »

Hello,
From my testings I can confirm that this "bug" only happens when macrokeys is using the same output device.
Appart from that, for me everything was working great with the default nanoKontrol2 mapping, I didn't have to use Korg Kontrol Editor.
I exported the default config and attached it to my post if you want to reset to default settings.
Attachments
Default-nanoKontrol2.zip
Default NanoKontrol2 layout
(348 Bytes) Downloaded 26 times